At what point is a job change worthwhile to you?

I don’t actively seek new positions. I get approached by head hunters who are trying to fill specific positions and let them know that it will be a waste of everyone’s time if base comp isn’t at least 15% above my current comp and that even at that level the opportunity would need to be ideal. The less ideal, the higher above 15% it will need to be.

Higgs is approaching an important point about career management and compensation.

Always remember the career triangle. There are three sides:

• How much the job pays you

• How good you are at the job

• How much you love the job

Some people are really good at a job, hate it, but get paid well. Many only get 2/3 and it’s hard to get 3:3, but important to consider.

This. The head hunters want me to take this job so they get paid, I am their product. If its a role I am not really dying for why should I go through all the trouble for 10%? Its not worth having to deal with setting up a whole new HR profile and get my benefits sorted and the extra work on my taxes. If you want me to move, you have to provide incentive

I’d move to another role at the same firm for an extra penny annually.

I’d move to a better role at another firm in my geographic area for 5%

I’d move to a similar role at another firm in my geographic area for 10%

I’d move to a completely different career field in my geographic area for 20%

I’d move to a similar or better role in a new geographic area for 50%

I’d mold pig shit into the shape of chicken nuggets and serve it to kids at the orphanage for 200%

I’m not Liam Neeson. I don’t have a very specific set of skills. I do however have no allegiance to my company and no more or less passion for finance than any other task, so I can be bought.

TTM had a good outline. My tweaks below.

I’d move to another role at the same firm for an extra penny annually.

I’d move to a better role at another firm in my geographic area for 30%

I’d move to a similar role at another firm in my geographic area for 30%

I’d move to a completely different career field in my geographic area for ?-?% (If i’m more passionate then i’d take less, if i’m less passionate then the bump has to be huge)

I’d move to a similar or better role in a new geographic area for 50%

I’d mold pig shit into the shape of chicken nuggets and serve it to kids at the orphanage for 200%

No passion for finance more than any other task, so I can be bought. My firm has a super laid back environment and I get along well with my coworkers so i’d rather not leave for another job unless the pay was significant and the environment was equally or more chill.

If you think you’re current firm isn’t about to make it through upcoming regulatory changes, but would perhaps sell out, that’d be a reason for me. The boss’ upcoming retirement would be another reason to seriously consider to jump ship.

I would never take a job just for more money. The deciding factor for me is the job itself (responsibilities, manager, group, company, etc.)