Atheists, what do you think of religious people?

For people who believe in God, there is only one God. This is stated in the First Commandment. Christians, Jews, and Muslims all believe in this.

^ agree. pre-Christ goodies should get grandfathered in. i say we start a petition.

it’s true. imagine spending eternity with this such a self-absorbed God. maybe Lucifer was the cool one and that’s why he was banished.

I think Pope Francis touched this below it and it is something I have been thinking about as well. I feel like there is a hidden choice on this Wager. Those who do not believe in God, but act as if God existed (ie. do good works). I feel like God would be chill with them. :slight_smile:

Both are fairy tales. Dante is just the better writer.

He did, explicitly. One of the many reasons I’m cool with this Pope. He said I still get into heaven regardless of my beliefs as long as I’m a decent person. So, still no gimmie, but I’ll take it.

Promoting science and logical thinking is as bad as promoting fairy tales, misogyny, intolerance etc. Hmm ok.

You seem fairly intolerant.

How? I’m not forcing atheism upon you or anyone, I’m merely asking what other atheists think of religious people?

A fervent athiest serves the purpose. Someone has to point out how crazy people can be, but I wouldn’t be one of them. Sam Harris is a pretty funny guy and I like the points he raises. I think while religions can have good intentions, I’m a firm believer not all religions are created equal. The structure of religion (I presume, but think research would support this if it is ever tested) materially impacts both the flourishing of the followers and impacts their interactions with the larger world. If you ignore the pesky God part, I think religions can be objectively measured in terms of which are best to promote human flourishing. But everyone would have to give up the God stuff first. I really like the Four Horsement of Athiesmm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-xK_PEDgc

Someone’s going to be upset tomorrow:

Christian Group Says the World Will be Permanently Annihilated on Wednesday

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/christian-group-says-the-world-will-be-permanently-annihilated-on-wednesday/

The way you responded previously made you come off like a condescending little prick. Religion/atheism in its proper form is about choice and belief that guides you. Forcing people for generally being a nutjob on either end of the spectrum is wrong and brings about more push back than intelligent collaborative discussion.

Lmao, sorry that I have contempt for stupidity. Go pray to your god and see if he talks back lol.

Intelligent discussion with a religious person who believes in “faith” not evidence. lol good one. Amazing that Richard Dawkins can keep a straight face talking to religious nutjobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Xn60Zw03A

This is why no one likes you. If you’re wondering why, this post is pretty much exactly why. You made it just to make yourself feel superior to others (which you are indeed not, no one is ) and it’s really just pathetic at this point.

Well, this is a clear contradiction to the New Testament which states that only God the Father knows when the world will end…

This thread reiterates why i’m not aligned to any organized religion.

The moment anything becomes an “ISM”, it becomes a headache. Is it not?

Reread your original post.

That’s not what you are _ merely _ doing.

This falls under the rubric of merely asking what other atheists think?

Your claim of contempt for stupidity is funny, in an ironic sort of way.

Not trying argue semantics, but not all non-religious people are atheists. Maybe the non-religious should classify themselves, so we understand who believes what.

Atheist - believes that there is no God.

Agnostic - does not know whether there is a god. In fact, it’s probably not even knowable whether a god exists.

Apatheist - doesn’t know and doesn’t care. And it’s not worth the time or effort to find out whether there is a god.

Antitheist - (to borrow from Hitchens) All religions are different versions of the same untruth, and it does no good to society. In fact, it is harmful to society. We wold all be better off if no religions ever existed.