BA II Plus VS Pro?

Are Better buttons that imp vs the extra features on the pro? I ordered the plus you guys :smiley:

Personally, I think the buttons are a big deal. You’re gonna be spending many many hours using that calculator over the next few years, so you want buttons that have fast action and cut down on input errors while allowing a faster speed. With the pro, I found I had to be very meticulous about my button pushing, I didn’t like that. The pro’s extra features only apply to very select cases of NPV. Either way you’ll still have to understand the basic concept, the pro may just save a few keystrokes, but again, those situations are rare, and I think having one method to enter one form of NPV problem and another for a different specific case is more of a pain in the butt than it’s worth, probably again just better off there too on the Plus.

I use BA II Plus and love it, really helped me through Level 1. Use the calculator every day, practice practice…

The test is created so that you should be able to answer the questions no matter which of the approved calculators you use. The most important thing is to use whatever calculator you feel most comfortable with.

I agree!

Good Choice!!! It will serve you well. I actually have 2 version of the BA II Plus. I have the older version; the black one where the buttons are even better. The grey version has stiffer buttons. But both are still better than the PRO. I still use the BA II Plus at work Anyways, good luck on your studies. whystudy, CFA

Coming back to this one for the following question: I am through Quant and I have the impression that the keys have gotten somewhat softer but I am still not 100% happy with the feel. Hate having to reenter values and redo calcs just because it didn’t take some numbers. I have done a fair bit of the qbank and EOC questions and I guess that on the other topics I wont need the calculator as much. Therefore I wouldn’t expect the keys to get much softer than what it already is…I think I will get the old version (plus) as well and see if it is any better in that respect. For the exam I will bring both models and use the professional for NPV. Makes sense? Any contrary experiences?

Thanks!

You DONT need the Professional model.

NFV isn’t tested at Level 1 and Oyster has made a typing mistake here because NPV is included in practically all financial calculators these days including the regular BA II Plus.

Discounted Payback Period is a pretty simple calculation after you have looked through the CFA material so you don’t really need this feature either.

Level 1 takers don’t need to splash out on the BA II Plus Pro. It’s a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Many people also complain of the buttons on the Professional model as well as they aren’t as responsive as the ones on the regular BA II Plus.

Personally, having seen both of them and used the regular BA II Plus extensively, I would just go with the regular version - it’s cheaper and you don’t have to double check that you are pressing the buttons like others have reported having to do.

Professional! Why drive a 5 Series when you can have the 7?

NERDS! haha jk. BA II PLUS is what I bought and I love it.

It’s not like we didn’t warn you. Anyhow, don’t be rediculous. Just switch to the plus (the plus isn’t an “older” model) it just doesn’t have as nice of metal finish to it. Use the plus for everything. It has full NPV functionality. The Pro has an additional feature that helps by saving a few keystrokes for a certain type of NPV problem (NFV). But it’s completely unncessary and I think trying to use different methods for different problems probably causes more problems than it’s worth. Most of the people I know using the Pro (and I’m guessing you fall under this category) don’t even use the additional varaition of the NFV feature or know how to apply it. It’s superflous. I crushed out all three exams and my pro’s buttons never got any better.

^ Read the input I wrote in all the above posts I"ve made starting from the top of this thread. I’m trying to do you guys a favor by saving you money and pointing you towards a better quality calculator that will perform better and cause fewer input mistakes. Get the plus, don’t bother with the pro. I have both and used them through the entire CFA process.

I have both the “regular” BA 2 Plus and the professional. I used the regular for most of my undergrad, grad school, and Level 1. After I passed Level 1, I lost my regular one during a move and I bought a Professional. Then I found my regular one. Now I have both.

As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing that the Professional can do that the regular one can’t. (At least nothing useful.) There are a few nuances that are different–let me list some of the pros and cons.

PROS - I think the display is easier to see on the Professional (which is a big plus when you plan on looking at it for about 1,000 hours over the next few years), especially from an angle. Plus, the rubber feet keep it from sliding across the table accidentally (which is another plus, given that you’ll probably make about a quarter million keystrokes over the next few years). Most importantly, the battery is easy to change if it dies. No screwdrivers needed. Just pop off the back cover with a penny and swap batteries.

CONS - Other than the additional cost, there are none.

If I had to do it over again, I think I would shell out the extra $30 for the professional, because of the display and rubber feet. I change my batteries two weeks before the exam, so I know they’re not going to die on me. (But I still take both calculators just in case.)

What it really comes down to is get only one and start practicing as early as possible. A financial caclulator is only useful if you know how to use the TVM and CF worksheets flawlessly.

BTW–remember that 2/3 of the questions will be qualititative. In other words, you’ll only need your calculator for 1/3 of the questions. And probably 2/3 of those will be questions that don’t even use TVM keys. So only about 10% of the exam will hinge on your ability to use TVM and NPV. And of that 10%, approximately 100% of it is fully doable with either calculator.

What I’m saying is–it really doesn’t matter at all. Just pick one and get familiar with it.

Its actually pretty intuitive: get the TI, if you don’t want to bother with RPN. And get the most expensive model since price is can be a good indicator of quality …

I fell for the metal. Brutal. Why on earth don’t they make that thing better, the keys softer? The new “old” model will be in the mail today and I am looking forward to it. Hope this one will be it! Might even pimp it and add the small rubber pads.

if you treasure you fingers, get the non-pro.

All this talk about calculators made me wonder what cutting edge calculators can do nowadays…holy crap those graphic models from Texas Inst/Casio look like iphones!

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire_cx_cas.html

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/calc/scientific/graphic/fxcg20/?m_no=286

Not true. Have you used either of the above calculators before? Something tells me you haven’t.

Don’t by the HP-12C. Whatever you do, don’t buy that one. Just pick one of the other two and start. It will make almost zero difference which one you buy. It’s just a matter of preference, and how it “feels” in your hand. I like the way the Professional “feels” because of the display and rubber feet. But there is absolutely no increased functionality of having the Professional.

I like this.