back pains

any opinions on getting a massage at one of those parlors for like 80-100 bucks? friend recommended it to me. i think it may help to get rid of all the tight muscles…

any opinions on getting a massage at one of those parlors for like 80-100 bucks? friend recommended it to me. i think it may help to get rid of all the tight muscles…

In NY, there are a bunch of chinese places that do back and body work for around 50-60 per hour. I find it a very enjoyable treat now and then, and it definitely helps in the short term. I can’t say if it helps over the long term. There are three that I’ve liked: one is around 63 and Lex, another is on 15th St. between 8th and 9th, and another is at 81st between Amsterdam and Columbus.

the show NY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > any opinions on getting a massage at one of those > parlors for like 80-100 bucks? friend recommended > it to me. i think it may help to get rid of all > the tight muscles… $80-100? Does that include a happy ending? Seriously though, a massage can make you feel better but it’s more to alleviate the pain temporarily than anything else. If it’s a persistent problem (which it doesn’t sound like it is, though I’m sure that given all the posts on this thread, it’s probably making you more paranoid than you need to be), you should go see an ortho and get a rec for a physical therapist.

Before paying for massage check with your medical insurance. if your back hurts you are entitled for physical therapy sessions which are better then regular massage parlors.

you need to do only 2 things: 1. Get a book stand at you local book. $20 goes a real long way. 2. Get a bike and ride it regularly. You’ll center your core, strengthen all of your muscles and increase your endurance. BTW, chicks dig endurance. P.S. Forget about drugs, lifting weights, physical therapy, massage…none of it will help your back in the long term. Ride a bike, make a lifestyle change, and sit up straight. Cheers!

I’d have to second the recommendation for 1hr yoga once per week. Really helps get yourself all straightened out physically and mentally. Do it before game day to clear your head and sleep good if you tend to tense up under pressure.

I fell in love with my yoga instructor… Then my girlfriend killed her, so I don’t do yoga any more.

bchadwick, are you living happily ever after with your yoga instructor?? anyway, thanks again for all those who gave input. numi, i know you said massage is to alleviate pain temporarily, and i definitely hear that. i’d want to go just to loosen up but then immediately continue to do back stretches and exercises to stay that loose. otherwise, youre right, it would just revert back to the old way. pdxanalytics, you mentioned the bike. which is better for core, bike or treadmill? id have to think treadmill, since your whole body is moving rather than just your legs.

the show NY – the bike works your core more, because assuming you are cycling in proper form, your abdominals have to be engaged in order to generate the energy to power you through the ride. i used to have pretty chronic back pain. when i wasn’t able to cycle, i did the elliptical machine, which is better than the treadmill, because the motion of jogging or running puts a lot of stress on your legs and every time you go up and down on a flat surface, weight bears down on your low back. but once i started feeling better, i started to cycle, and eventually i added tennis, swimming, and yoga once a week to my regimen. deal flow is not particularly robust right now so i get to play tennis about four times a week. anyway, my point is that you will start feeling better once you add core strength and flexibility. there are a number of ways you can do it as i and others have explained, but the important thing is to develop the mental discipline and commitment to get it done. any way that you choose to do it is fine, but definitely pick the type of exercise that you like, otherwise it will be hard to find the motivation to work out. the days where i feel the best in the office are ones following my exercise days. improving my core strength helped me a lot and i’m sure it’d do the same for you too.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I fell in love with my yoga instructor… > > Then my girlfriend killed her, so I don’t do yoga > any more. Too funny. Ya I fell in love with my yoga instructor too…then the GF joined me for class one day and tried to ban me from going anymore. These places are loaded with hot flexible open minded women, highly recommended, you will forget all about your back pain.