Baffled by NetFlix

I can see high school kids downloading pirated videos, but adults with stable jobs and families? I’d have to think that if it does occur, it’s very rare. I may be naive but I think the majority of people recognize that this is stealing.

Maybe this content needs to be defined as the property of the publisher, and the customers are merely given the right to view it. If we define it that way, the legal path to shutting down site like megavideo could be pretty clear. I don’t think it’s that hard to shut down piracy. We have drones don’t we? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I disagree - I think Internet piracy is really mainstream. There are hundreds of sites devoted to pirated content and it’s surely not just high school kids using them all. If it was just high school kids, the content would be just high school kid stuff. Instead the content is comprehensive including movies that high school kids would never watch.

the profit margins for online content distribution seem too thin. i’m not sure if netflix will be able to survive on its own say 5 years into the future.

netflix is a pretty easy sell…expensive, tough and uncertain environment, etc however, they do make a wonderful product…

I recommend friends to netflix for a few reasons: the quality is consistent, the cost is cheap in regards to other media outlets (excluding piracy, which wins that battle hands down), and due to it’s selection. If you like blockbuster movies you’ll be disappointed, but it has a great selection of documentaries and foreign films. Just finished watching the entire series of BBC’s ‘The Planets’, which was incredible. Yes, I could have downloaded it for free, but would I have thought to download it? Probably not.

Duplicate post, apologies.

I don’t know about Netflix as an investment, not having gone through the financials… but I do like it as a customer. The selection is good, although after a year of the download-only option (much of it watched through a Roku box), I am starting to run out of things I really like to watch. Hulu Plus is a competitor, but they still advertise at you even after you pay the fee (so I’m told).