Band 10s, so what??? Lets discuss

Last year CFAI cancelled my exam in pak 2 hours before start and rescheduled 1 week later which i couldnt appear in. This year i got band 9 and going for retabulation even though nothing will happen…

my score:

AM

PM - Ins >70

PM - Ins <50

FI <50 (left blank didn’t study a word of it)

Alt Inv <50

Perf Ev >51-70

Risk Mgt >70

PM - Ind >51-70

PM - Ind >70

Asset Allocation <50

Eco <50

Behav Fin <50

PM

Eco, Equity, FI & PM Ind >70 while all others =>51-70. My 40/60/80 score is 60.7% but adjusting for the blank FI question and other mistake i remembered making it 59.8%. After the exam i had estimated a score of 61.7% which should have been borderline pass…

i was hoping the PM would pull me through but in the end that cost me since i only got 70% in it whereas most of the successful candidates seemed to get 75+…

My entire AM was as per expectation except for Behav finance, still cant believe i got that wrong. It hurts to know 2-3 mcqs or one subset in AM could have given my life back. I shouldn’t have waited tll May to study…i only did 3 AM for last 3 years that too not by writing but just reading the question and guidelines answers although i read & reread the curriculum…

I think Ethics pushed it down to band 10 … that’s 36 points, and getting below 50% was the killer. People say between the bands it is around 2% difference, so just getting that Ethics to above 50% would’ve done it.

Ethics was very strange this year … i barely managed and got 50%-70% … two years ago when i failed, Ethics was much easier, and most i think got over 70%.

Damn dude, you were really close. You definitely have it next year.

For those who are having a retab done, is it a different process than L1 and L2? Shouldnt they review your essay answers instead of just adding up the points?

I failed band 10 last year, my first fail and it sucks! This year I decided to enhance my self study strategy by hiring a tutor (s2000) who was awesome and attending level up boot camp. Both decisions pushed me over the edge this year. Perhaps I would have passed without them, but I’m confident had I used their services last year I would have passed and been 3/3. A year is a long time, make it count!

Was this your first time??? I am also thinking for a retab… AM didnt go as I expected at all. I thought I had everything in Economic…

Was this your first time??? I am also thinking for a retab… AM didnt go as I expected at all. I thought I had everything in Economic…

Thanks guys… I do appreciate your motivating comments

how do you hire s2000?

I was going to appear in 2014 L3 exam in Pakistan but it got postponed two hours before start time due to security reasons & next Saturday wasn’t in the country to sit for it. So you can count that as a form of attempt since i did do the prep although when i compare it to this year i would have failed in the lower bands if i had actually sat for the exam.

Eco was not so straightforward especially the last two subsets, if you slightly misjudged them it was less than 50%. There was no margin of error.

They won’t recheck our scripts just tally them up, so unless they missed adding 8-10 points its just throwing away $100. I am doing it for peace of mind really. $100 is nothing compared to exam fee & torture that lays ahead.

Ok bruh, lets kill this thing next year… I am ready to give CFAI a middle finger!!!

I made it this year…

2016 Exam Result… PASSED

1 Portfolio Management - Institutional 20 - *- 2 Fixed Income Investments 22 - * - 3 Equity Investments 19 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 13 - - * 5 Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 13 * - - 6 Portfolio Management - Individual 22 - -* 7 Portfolio Management - Individual 17 - -* 8 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 20 - - * 9 Economics 18 - -* 10 Portfolio Management - Indiv/Behavioral 16 - -*

Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Economics 18 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 18 - -* - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - -* - Portfolio Management - Institutional 18 - -* - Portfolio Management - Performance Eval. 18 -* - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - - *

Hard to believe mine. I thought Economics and Portfolio Management for individuals and institutions were my strong suite. Two < 50% for economics and a bunch for portfolio management. Brutal.

For those in Band 10 what was your score according to 300hours analysis? I am just trying to understand how some stupid mistakes could have factored in and where that would have put me…

I was band 7 and my 40/60/80 score was 57.3%

Extremely suprised at my econ and equity score.

Guys, don’t give up… Put some more hours - work with a strict strategy and the Band-story will never be heard again…

All the best folks!!!