Being a lecturer at a hacksaw university

I think you should teach this way those students give you a dose of reality on how much of an as*hat you are.

lol

Did anyone else get turned on by this?

Honestly you guys are destroying the TS because it’s the cool thing to do but I don’t think that his question is ridiculous.

I think it’s ridiculous that someone who just landed their first job is even considering teaching others and has the audacity to handle it with the indignity that he is.

this question is a bit ridiculous. if you’ve even sniffed around the careers section of AF you would know work experience trumps all. those who can’t do teach. those who can do teach for the well-being of others. if you’re teaching for the sole purpose to bolster your own credentials then your efforts are misaligned

thread title needs to be changed to

“Being a hacksaw lecturer at a hacksaw university”

“On being a Hacksaw Lecturer” - a retrospective

The question by itself is not ridiculous, but in the context of the OP’s previous posts on the topic here, its absurd.

well said +1

well said +1

This is ridiculous. What makes teaching some sort of philanthropic performance? It is a job/hobby/endeavor like any other. It isn’t a charity. There’s a reason PhD professors make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for <40 hours a week of work. They aren’t doing it for their health.

Why are one’s motives relevant as long as they can deliver value and do their job satisfactorily? Whether someone is teaching to make their mom happy, bolster their resume, look at the girls in the class, or because they love teaching with all their heart, none of that matters if the job is performed to the same level.

Perhaps I have underestimated the <10 hour requirement. I think that is the issue for most of you. You are acting as if I wouldn’t try or something. I would try and not be satisfied until I felt I was doing a damn good job. I don’t sell myself short or cut corners. I never have. One class is not too much with a full-time job. I know multiple people that have done it before. I’d rather bust my ass 90 hours a week in an effort to better myself than sit on the couch at home relaxing any day. We are always capable of more and I’m not interested in living a boring, mediocre life. I want to be great, and in order to be great, it will take some time sacrifices.

teaching is a selfless job. any of you ever sit in a portfolio management class and wonder why the prof is killing it on the buyside? It’s because he can’t (for any # of reasons - doesn’t matter), or because he enjoys helping others.

I think you’re making the assumption that performance is unhindered by motive. this is never true. how many times have you heard someone say to find a job you love? its because the job doesn’t feel like work, and when you enjoy doing something you will naturally aspire to be the best you can be. definitely in contrast to the get-in get-out attitude this thread potrays. most of the value added from a professor doesn’t come from lecturing for an hour or two and going home. the real value comes from the time invested after hours helping students along. i think a good professor has to be willing to go above and beyond and has to care for the well being of his students. the job is naturally selfless and inherently altruistic.

it’s good to know you take yourself seriously but in the future when starting a new endeavor don’t publicly underestimate the challenge unless you’re willing to subject yourself to a firestorm of criticism

Let’s not conflate two different issues here:

Whether the guy is qualified or not is one issue (which is what half of you are laughing about). Fine, maybe I’ll give you that.

But the other issue, which I don’t agree with, is for the other half to question his motives. You guys work in finance, most of us try to earn as much as possible, and most of us are chasing a prestigious credential for the same reasons he’s thinking about teaching at a community college.

People do anything, including teaching, because it’s often times it’s their best option for their situation, their resources, and their current standing. Half of you became managers because it was the way to get ahead in life, not to “give back” to the community by training the analysts under you.

To stand in moral judgement of his self-serving motives is not only unproductive, but so hypocritical that it’s cringe-worthy.

you’re absolutely wrong mlwl because your forgetting about the potential detriments to those around you

my cfa-chasing self-serving motives affect myself (maybe my gf and extended family). the risk/reward profile of my actions are willingly accepted by myself and those around me

his self-serving motives are affecting those of an unknown amount of students who are seeking to better themselves. just as cfai ethics advises, i believe the line needs to be drawn where you willingly accept risk on behalf of another party (especially an entire group of people) and don’t take that responsibility seriously.

obviously vandy indicated he takes this seriously but previous comments in the thread pointed to a different conclusion

yo vandey if you know all the answers and dont want to listen stop asking us and wasting our time

Amen. I think he’s done this on every thread he’s ever started.

If the university could find someone more qualified who was both able and willing, they would do it. That’s economics 101. Maybe all the people who are more qualified are too busy with their (real) jobs or asked for too much of an hourly rate for example. For all your (I’m speaking to the forum, not you individually) big talk, I bet half of you have never taken time out of your day to teach at a hacksaw school or donated to charity. Me personally, I wouldn’t teach at a community college until after I got my CFA, an MBA, and had at least a real title on my resume. I’m sure most of you went through the same calculations and that’s why you’re not applying for his job lol.

If the issue is that you think he’s going to do a shitty job and hurt the students, let that be an issue that the college’s admistration deals with when the time comes. Who the fuck knows? Maybe with this newfound responsibility, he’ll man up and grow into the role. If he doesn’t, they can always fire him.

The original topic was (or at least should have been) whether it was a good/bad for his career.