Being white in Philly

Now this is the story all about how brain_wash_your_face’s life got flipped, turned upside down.

lol…doubt if our resident movie buff got the reference…Im talking to you Sweep

Ha, the ball court from the Fresh Prince intro is near me. Not West Philly, but they probably couldn’t film there for some reason…

One of my high school friends goes to Med School in Philly. Though the neighbourhood around the school is fine, he tells me for the most part the city is a dump. Every time he comes back to Toronto he acts like he is in paradise.

He actually bought a used rusty ass bike from across the city last week for $20 because he claimed if he bought a new one it was guaranteed to get stolen on the first day.

The fresh prince’s uncle’s house in bel air is near me… Str8 baaaaaaaaaallin’

^ One of the reasons I won’t set foot in the USA unless I’m being paid big $$$; the lovely atmosphere.

Be fair man, I was living in a legit verifiable ghetto directly across the street from some projects. I mean, this picture below was taking in a poor area of South Korea but we know the whole country’s not like that. Although, to be fair I bet poorest South Koreans generally behave better than the equivalent US citizen.

I know. It’s a good thing every other country in the world has managed to eradicate roaches, vomitting, urinating, homelessness and murder.

Yeah, but still doesn’t touch Camden. That place is messed up. Noone from Philly’s gonna debate that.

True, but very few people have reason to go to Camden in the first place or end up there by accident.

One main difference in my opinion, between East and West culture is that West people have a greater sense of entitlement. In contrast, poor people in the East tend to internalize the suffering from their economic condition, or push their kids hard, thinking they will one day do better than their parents. West people are more likely to blame society, push for progressive politics, social justice, and stuff like that.

The result is that East people tend to be hardworking, but West societies are more democratic. Interesting combination is when East people transplant themselves to a West society. So, they have other people to deal with progressive politics, and they focus on self interest. Probably explains a lot of these “model minority” effects.

I would attribute that to the “positive reinforcement” culture more than East vs West. In US for example, people mollycoddle kids and infantilize adults, and books like Amy Chua’s “Tiger Mom” are provocative because they are counter to the norm. Now this positive reinforcement allows kids to make mistakes, discover their passion without fear of failure, and scale heights of talent doing something they like. It also allows them to think they are all that and the society owes them a living and if other kids don’t quite treat them like princes like their own parents do; then it’s OK to get guns and kill your classmates. It’s all an exaggerated sense of the ego, with positive and negative consequences. It’s all abut standing out and getting attention.

I don’t think Canadian kids, for example, get quite the same insane amount of positive reinforcement, and grow up thinking they need to stand out at all costs.

So true. It’s a shame this aspect of our western societies doesn’t get enough attention

Are you sure that this doesn’t belong in the “They beat us at the CFA exam too” thread?

OK, I know you guys are probably going to think I am a racist (and I am wondering that myself).

I heard this story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/22/police-georgia-infant-killed-while-pushed-in-stroller/?test=latestnews driving to work today and my first thought was, it’s Georgia, I wonder if the shooters were black (the radio news did not reveal any details like names). Until now, I have seen no photos of the perpetrators, but we now know one of the (alleged) shooters is named De’Marquis Elkins.

That sounds alike a black name to me. I am willing to be wrong.

When I hear stories of teens shooting babies, what comes to mind is black or Hispanic gangbangers (perhaps because of the alleged gang initiation rituals.) If it had been teens shooting up classmates, I’d have assumed they were white.

I read the same story.

If I were emperor, I would have those two kids burned at the stake–literally. I would have them tied up to a steel post, put wood around the base of it, and set it aflame. I would make sure that it took them several hours to die. And I would do it publicly so that people know what happens when you shoot toddlers in the face.

Update: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/25/us/georgia-baby-killed/ - has De’Marquis’s photo. Details are hard to read if you are a parent.

When I hear tragic stories like this, I wonder to myself if these types of crimes would be reduced if we went back to dealing with these a$$holes in the same manner as our predecessors (centuries ago). Would knowing how you will be dealt with when caught and convicted deter these heinous crimes? Basically, I’m onboard with brutal execution tactics if this sort of criminal element can be limited or even eliminated.

Actually, I’d really like to kill them, kill their mom and dad, kill their brothers and sisters, kill their friends, and burn all their houses down to the ground. Now THAT would be a good deterrent. But it’s hard to stomach the idea of killing people because their son or brother is such a piece of garbage.

I think the most torturous way to die is by burning. Personally, I can think of nothing worse. So I’ll just settle for that.

One more point–there were two that committed the crime. I strongly advocate torturing the one that they do have in order to find the second. (Not applicable in this case, because they found both of them.) But there would be no more “I’ll give you the other guy if you give me immunity.” It would be more like, “Tell us where he is and we’ll hang you instead of burning you.”

(FYI–I have a 19-month old baby girl.)

I really doubt that, punishment only really deters normal people from commiting crimes. People who shoot toddlers in the face likely don’t give a fuck about the consequences.