best answer to

bodhisattva Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pawn Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > what are your weaknesses? > > > Greatest weakness is that I am a perfectionist. > Not to the point where it provents me from > submitting high quality work within deadlines. > However I always feel that I can do better and > that feeling often robs me of a sense of > accomplishment even when others recognize my > contributions If you said that to me I would ask you to preve it!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/interview_questions nuff said.

^ha ha ha, good stuff

Weakness? I require constant supervision to keep me from stealin’ and harassin’.

pawn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what are your weaknesses? weaknesses? i’m sorry, i think that question was left over from the other candidate.

If you are at or near the beginning of your career then you cannot go wrong with citing lack of experience. As an aside - ‘I’m a perfectionist’ is obviously the stock joke answer here (along with workaholic) but my genuine greatest weakness is procrastination. I’ve done a fair bit of reading on the subject and procrastination and perfectionism are closely linked and are very common place. According to one study around 20% of the population regard themselves as chronic procrastinators (I don’t think I’m that bad). Of course I’d never say that in an interview as it is a genuine weakness that is almost impossible to spin into a ‘good’ answer. Interviews are all about playing the game. Learn the rules and should be able to get your offer to interview ratio to at least 0.2 if not higher even in this jobs market. A forum search will reveal loads of info on how to do that with Numi generally giving very solid advice.

My greatest weakness is that i will spend 50% of my work time posting on AFOT

tell them you’re not able to date girls outside of your race, and ask interviewers for suggestions.

“Aaaaand…I’m awkward”

Dude_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Everyone says they are a perfectionist as the > standard weakness answer. I see it a mile off. > Doesn’t make it wrong. > > I’m always tempted to say I don’t interview well > (particularly when asked such mundane questions). I typically avoid that answer in interviews as well for the same reason and because it reminds me off that scene in trainspotting where the guy says the same thing while jacked on meth. I like to mention my lack of experience and the humility/willingness that I use in overcoming it. However, in all honesty perfectionism certainly is one of my greatest weaknesses. One that effects pretty much every aspect of my life almost to the point where its pathological. Carson, I have read many of those same studies and I would have to say I agree with them. It also says we’re more prone to depression and suicide, hopefully procrastination offsets the latter of those two though. hahaha

Carson Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you are at or near the beginning of your career > then you cannot go wrong with citing lack of > experience. > > As an aside - ‘I’m a perfectionist’ is obviously > the stock joke answer here (along with workaholic) > but my genuine greatest weakness is > procrastination. I’ve done a fair bit of reading > on the subject and procrastination and > perfectionism are closely linked and are very > common place. According to one study around 20% of > the population regard themselves as chronic > procrastinators (I don’t think I’m that bad). > > Of course I’d never say that in an interview as it > is a genuine weakness that is almost impossible to > spin into a ‘good’ answer. Interviews are all > about playing the game. Learn the rules and should > be able to get your offer to interview ratio to at > least 0.2 if not higher even in this jobs market. > A forum search will reveal loads of info on how to > do that with Numi generally giving very solid > advice. Thanks for the shout-out, Carson. I can relate to you in that procrastination is probably my greatest weakness as well. Usually what I realize is that the tasks I procrastinate on are things that don’t interest me much to begin with, but I realize that stuff still needs to get done and I don’t always have the luxury of delaying things especially if I’m working for someone else. Lately I’ve been trying more to get these tasks out of the way first so I don’t have to keep delaying them or thinking about them. Also agree with you on the “perfectionist” answer. If someone said that in an interview, I’d think that their real underlying weakness is that they’re uncreative, can’t prioritize, get hung up on details that are less important than just getting the overall task done, etc. - and these are all legitimate career-limiting weaknesses. Also, I often find that people who say this really have no conception of perfection and have likely not seen what a hyper-competitive environment is like - and in a similar way, underestimating your peers or your competition is also a legitimate weakness, but one where I’d shy away from if I were an employer.

To the people here who conduct interviews - What exactly are you guys looking for when you ask an interviewee this question? Presumably you’re not looking for outright honesty, is it simply just the ability to come up with a creative response?