BIG DAY for you, Intro for me, Ragging for others

hey bullpow - it seems useful. thanks a ton. Thanks Gator, will start reading the stuff. Hope to get going with it soon. Thanks a lot guys.

Might sound stupid…but is the WSJ online version paid??? It is offering only free for 2 weeks if I register. Else it gives me all articles in halves (i.e only intial 1 or 2 paras and hides the rest). Any comments?

Hey, Amit, I would like to know how IT side of IB works? How different are these from rest of IT positions in other industries? Does any one in that line even care about CFA? Meaning, can CFA levels help in growing to senoir IT positions? I am an IT (data analyst) guy with six years of exp mostly in SAS. Any pointers? Thanks !!

I will talk from my experience. Top Investment bank on Wall Street and none of my team members including VP’s and MD’s know what the heck a CFA is!! I have to plede and persuade my manager for a 1 week leave before the exam and he thinks why does a person need 1 week leave for an exam that’s not even conducted on a computer and it takes 3 months to get back the results. Oh well… we need to face it. Ok that was an IBank, That I was taking off, I don’t know how (more++) worse it would be to work for Verizon as a consultant and telling you manager what a CFA is and how it’s tougher than a Series-7 …lol

I am surprised to hear that Top IBs are not even aware of the CFA. I feel Institute needs to do something to raise the awareness. That way, dilution of CFA charter can be taken care of by raising demand. Thanks Dinesh for your response. ~Ram

BullPow Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Also, I am an avid watcher of CNBC fast > money…though people may disagree on the hyped > program…reading for CFA enchanced my > understanding of what they are talking about…as > a side note dont ever listen to that opinion less > lady karen finerman… for investment advise. You said it dude, I agree. I also watch Mad Money and some of Cramer’s ideas make lot of sense to me. Though I watch Kudlow and company, I am not a great fan of kudlow rant (sorry…Kudlow Creed)

Ram Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey, Amit, I would like to know how IT side of IB > works? How different are these from rest of IT > positions in other industries? Does any one in > that line even care about CFA? Meaning, can CFA > levels help in growing to senoir IT positions? > > I am an IT (data analyst) guy with six years of > exp mostly in SAS. Any pointers? Thanks !! CFA will help to grow to Senior IT positions if you pick up a Business Analyst role. People from Dev/QA will not know, what a CFA is! They don’t care about it. In a business Analyst role, you might get involved in some kind of risk calculations at most. There is no other way you would work in something which CFA teaches you. I am not looking to move to a BA role but to move into research/analysis. The business side people might understand its value, but technical people don’t. Personally speaking - I just want to desp. land up in analysis role, even if I have to let my 6yrs+ or even more (by the time I get that job) let go. I might need to start at lower salary than current but I am ready for it (if there is not too much of a big diff.). Lets hope for the best.