Bike Buying 101

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFJThMDLYM4]

Somewhat safe for work.

That’s exactly it. I went to a bike shop and they said Mountain biking doesn’t require much for sizing unlike road biking.

The el cheapo is only to test the water to make sure I dig it as much as I think I will. The last thing I want to do is drop $500+ on the nice Trek only to find that my knees/bum/sack don’t like it.

^ But if you look around enough, you can buy the $500 Trek for $200 from some other dude who bought it last year, rode it twice, and decided that his knees/bum/sack didn’t like it. As noted above, buy bike shorts to make it more enjoyable for your bum and sack. Even with bike shorts, your first few rides will likely be a bit uncomfortable but you do get used to it.

Different frames have different geometeries (sp?) that can make one bike considerably more or less comfortable for you. It’s true that you’re out of the saddle much more often than you would be on a road bike, but comfort is still important.

Respectfully, would a markdown like that exist? I browsed craigslist and found used bikes not much cheaper than a new bike. There were cheaper ones that needed work, however, I don’t want to mess with that.

Ok, I’ll break my promise: why not rent a bike?

Eh, I just want to jump in and do it. I figure a year on a crappy bike will get me to the point of a yay or nay when it comes to an upgrade.

What do you weigh? In all seriousness, I think it is very likely you will break the bike in a few rides if you weigh much over 180. Here is what you can get at Walmart. Make sure to take them for a test ride.

Admittedly I have not shopped for a bike in a long time. I know that used to be the case, particularly with road bikes, but there is a lot more information out there these days, so maybe not.

At first I didn’t realize that your link brought up sellers other than just Wal Mart and almost passed out when a Niner Jet was there.

Not to speak for CvM, but I bought a $200 Schwinn at Target a couple of years ago. I don’t ride too often, and when I do, it’s just around town, pulling my daughter in a trailer. But I weigh 330-ish, and it seems to handle the load just fine.

That being said, I could def. tell a difference between the Trek Verve 3 and the Target el Cheapo. It accelerates easier, switches gears easier, has a smoother ride, etc. I’d love to buy a good bike, but it’s not really worth it for me, since it’s really a playtoy for the kids more than for me.

^ I also pull my kids in a trailer and have to admit that I cringe everytime I attach it to my Kline.

if my only option was getting a crappy bike from Walmart I’d just walk places and save myself the hassle when the POS falls apart in a month. If you can’t commit to a $500 used decent bike (which you could resell if you didnt like it) then this isnt really about biking as much as it is spending as little money as possible.

As others noted, a decent bike will be decent for decades of riding, a crappy bike will make your rides less pleasant and result in you not wanting to use it.

Mountain biking? You know that’s only going to start the rumors that you’re white once again. But i’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. If your next thread is “SWimming 101” and you ask us what type of speedo to buy, i won’t anymore.

I will add a few comments.

I have a hard tail and a FS. I ride the FS all the time because it is easier on me. Some of my downhills get a bit chunky and I want to keep the fillings I have. Plus my FS is a much better bike. Like many, I started with a cheaper hardtail and now ride a FS. Then if you get really good, you go back to the hardtail. But I am older and care more about comfort than I do speed.

When I asked a guy who was hammering on a SS why he liked it, he said “I don’t really. Take everything that is fun about mtn biking and throw it out the window. That is a single speed.” If speed and simplicity is your goal, go for it. If you are out to have some fun on the weekends, leave the SS to the experts.

Beware, you may get hooked. And then get ready to pull out your checkbook for an upgrade. (Do people still have checkbooks?)

Bump

So my el cheapo Target special got stolen, and the bike trailer hitch along with it. It’s not a big loss, because I can buy another hitch, and my wife still has her el cheapo Target bike that I can pull trailers with.

But I’m debating on taking the plunge and getting a good bike. Not going to be racing or mountain biking or anything. I just want to ride around the mean streets of Midland, TX. Anybody have any good suggestions?

Also, I’ve heard that some bikes have internal derailleurs (specifically, I looked at an Electra brochure). They’re quite a bit more expensive, but I’ve heard they’re a lot better. Anybody have one? Would you recommend?

Also, if all you want to do is ride around town with your kids (either pulling them in a trailer or alongside them once they learn to ride), how many speeds would you recommend? I would think that 7 speeds would be more than enough.

Central Park is great to ride and Washington Heights has plenty of hills…a lot of good exercise to be had in those parts! Plus there is a mountain bike trail in highbridge (Manhattan) and Cunningham Park in Queens. Back on topic I race BMX on a regular basis and you can get a decent moutain bike for under 1K and if you like you can always sell it and buy a new one the following year. I have a hook up at a LBS and they told me best bang for the buck is to go with FUJI.

![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1912332_10152426093102530_5088509672097113610_n.jpg?oh=2b21dc2e0908123180a190971c5c4f6f&oe=54E6809B& gda =1425397036_ad2c79f5152110bdb2c55ea22083d8a7)

^ I completely respect their riding abilities, but the sight of anyone taller than 4’2" on a BMX bike always makes me chuckle.

I got an el cheapo walmart bike which has been treating me well. Been chilly out though.