Boston area finance programs

equity_analyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jrs130 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > the MSF program @ BC is the red headed step > child > > of the business school - there is NO help with > job > > placement…that all goes to the MBA’s. This > was > > in 04, so things could have changed > > > I would have to agree, although I don’t think > recruting efforts in the MBA program are that > great either. BC is not about recruiters, it’s > about the alumni network. You have to be willing > to network and do the leg work. If you plan on > staying in Boston or the NE being part of the BC > circle is VERY helpful in finding openings. > > I think anyone interested in an advanced finance > degree should attend BC simply because this guy > went there… : ) > > Harry Markopolos MSF’97 couldn’t have said it better myself. If you’re willing to do the leg work and network and socialize with alumni, you WILL find a good job

I’m in my first semester at the PT MBA program at BC right now and am considering transferring into the PT MSF program. I graduated from another boston based university with a BSBA (dual concentration in finance and accounting) and passed all three levels of the CFA. I was hoping to speak to AF’ers that have done the BC MSF and/or MBA program and get their thoughts on the programs and how it helped them afterwards. I’m obviously going to do a lot of other research (through the school, professors, course syllabus, etc.) before making a decision on MSF vs MBA, but knowing the crowd on AF I figured I would come across people with similar backgrounds and aspirations. Given my undergrad background and completing the CFA, I’m struggling with overlap that both programs have. I know the MBA will provide greater breadth of opportunities, but it’s difficult to assess if the MSF will provide anything extra in terms of opportunities within asset management. You’re probably wondering why I’m doing this now rather than before I applied. I guess I underestimated the overlap of an undergrad business and MBA (aka I really thought they would be teaching at a higher level - they are not). Now my concern is that the MSF will not be teaching a higher level relative to the CFA. Disclosure: My work will pay 100% for either degree so going elsewhere FT is out of the question and I’m geographically limited to Boston (also it would be stupid not to one of them given my only opportunity cost is only time, not time and money). My current role is in portfolio manager selection and oversight. I do not want to the dual MBA/MSF - that’s too much time in school after the CFA. Thanks in advance (we can take a convo offline as well),

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Brandeis - They got the Masters in Internal > Finance & Economics program. Full-time only. > Pricey and CFA is much more useful if you want to > go into IM but I heard some Wellesley undergrad > girls take classes here and thats a big + Brandeis has a part-time MSF as well, which I completed in ‘06. However, I went to BC for undergrad and would recommend their MSF program over Brandeis’… better instructors IMO.

Email me at peter.w.rossetti at gmail dot com if you want to chat. I’m currently doing the MSF program at BC and have passed the first level of the CFA.

Are there any exciting cultural or leisure events going on in Boston this weekend? I’m going to be in town for some work as well as business school stuff, would love to know if there are are any shenanigans going down this weekend. I’ll be there through Sunday morning.

go to king aurthers in Chelsea…class joint

A few thoughts: As a fellow Eagle I will help you any way I can. I just finished up the MSF/MBA program in May and think that you should consider the dual degree as an option if you have your charter–you will get advanced standing for 4 core classses (Accounting, Economics, Financial Management, Statistics). That shaves a year off the program, couple that with the fact that you get to crossover 4 MBA electives with the MSF program and it really whittles down the time required to take home two degrees. I realized this toward the end of the MSF program so I also applied to the MBA program and finshed as a dual degree candidate. Overall, I found the MSF classes significantly more rigorous than the MBA classes. It all comes down to the individual professor. There are some really great ones and a few to be avoided at all costs. I wouldn’t worry about overlap too much, as most of the MSF classes go far beyond what you will learn via self study in the CFA program–Financial Econometrics, Portfolio Theory, for example. My advice would be to get the syllabi from as many professors as possible, for all the core classes and whatever electives you might be interested in. Having an MSF degree will not guarantee you a job in asset management any more than the CFA charter will, however, tapping into the alumni network–particularly if you’re staying around Boston/New England–will help a lot in cracking into the hidden job market for analyst/buyside jobs. Post a temp email and I will send you my contact info. I can tell you who to take and who not to take, which will make your life easier. : )

prosetti - emailed you. equity analyst - here’s my temp email: bceaglemsfmba@gmail.com Unfortunately, I was told the CFA charter and my undergrad business degree would only get me out of Accting and Finance so I’m taking Stats, Econ, and Investments right now. I agree on the difficultly of the MBA classes - my undergrad covered econ and stats over two semesters for each subject (so 4 classes total) so we got a lot more detail and chances to apply the material to longer assignments. Look forward to hearing from you both,

For big buy-side shops - SSgA/Fidelity/Wellington and even smaller shops - Putnam/MSF/Loomis which would be better if your goal would be a equity or fixed income PM? BC MBA and or MSF or top 20 MBA (georgetown, usc, uoftex A)

I would love to do research within a team that manages high yield or bank loan strategies (I’m certain I would find assessing risky companies/companies with serious issues much more interesting than IG credit research but it’s hard to say for sure since I’ve done neither). I think it will be hard for me to ever get in a BS research shop though, regardless of CFA + MSF, or MBA or MBA/MSF. I like the manager of manager thing I’m in now b/c I touch so many different areas of market/have access to a lot of great thinkers. However, if I stay doing in manager research, doing HF manager research would raise possible comp significantly so that has some LT appeal (also would learn a lot of new things).

Get_rich2dis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > go to king aurthers in Chelsea…class joint haha, okay. Come on guys, any other suggestions for exciting or cultural outings in Boston this weekend?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get_rich2dis Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > go to king aurthers in Chelsea…class joint > > haha, okay. > > Come on guys, any other suggestions for exciting > or cultural outings in Boston this weekend? numi, i just checked Boston.com no big event. You might want to check out… Harvard Square - young, cool, hip, and rich mixed in with some harmless homeless people. Grab a coffee, people watch, walk around Harvard it has a pretty nice campus and check out HBS. Newbury Street - This is where the rich european, middle eastern, and asian tourist come to shop SoWa/MFA/Insitute of Comp Art - Check out the art gallaries (do not go to SoWa after sundown) Landsdown street - Go when the Patriots are playing on Sunday, this is the heart of Boston’s sports. Fanciel Hall - Drink with college kids and 20 and 30 somethings

psn0706 I just sent you an email.

Boston has some HOT women. Get get em Numi.

To the OP - I have been looking at MIT’s master of finance program, but couldn’t find any information on the 2009 employment statistics. Do you know what the numbers look like if you have done research on it? I think this is their first year of lauching the program and admitting only 30 people per class. So I would wonder how competitive it is to get in.

Thanks BiPolarBoyBoston. I’ll actually be at HBS tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be able to make time to see some museums on Friday afternoon or on Saturday.

nuppal Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Boston has some HOT women. > > Get get em Numi. you gotta show me where they’re hiding…either that or i’ve just been spoiled by texas :slight_smile:

I have lived in both Texas and Boston…Boston dames can’t even compare to Texas women.

Single girls in boston are young, 18-25. The girls u find at clubs are usually 20-25 (vast majority 21-24 imo).

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nuppal Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Boston has some HOT women. > > > > Get get em Numi. > > > you gotta show me where they’re hiding…either > that or i’ve just been spoiled by texas :slight_smile: Bostn girls are thoroughly mediocre. Went to college there for four years. The town was fun but girls away from campus were not great. I’ve been to Dallas once and it was on a whole 'nother level. Plus, had a couple guys I know play for the Stars and they vouch for Dallas in a big way.