Boy am I down on my luck...

Best of luck to you halifax, I appreciate a risk taker, I’ll be on the prairies for life… I’m sure you’ve looked around but I’ve had a few buddies (commercial real estate) get in or interview at Aimco (http://www.aimco.alberta.ca/work_opp.asp) true its in edmonton but close now none the less and has a few good opps posted once in a while. Have you considered trying to jump in on a IB recruiting session at a University??? Last year (I know a better year) I know a few people started with IB’s in town there straight out of uni from Mb. Again, hope it works out for you, enjoy the city while you can!

Sorry to hear about your sickness, Halifax. Hope it continues to improve and I wish you the best in your job search. I do have to ask: How do you like Calgary? Beautiful, I imagine? Nice people? Would love to do some hiking up in that area eventually.

Great city, very beautiful, very nice people, not Maritime nice, but we have to keep it fair!!! I’m very happy with my decisions, no regrets other than not doing it sooner.

Welcome to Calgary!

So I’m just hoping that the gap on my resume, or why I ditched my old decent paying job won’t be hurdles down the road. Of course I can usually talk my way out things and put a good spin on, like Ricky with the cops!!!

you’ll figure something out in due time. for the moment, make the most of every free day you have, be thankful for good family and friends, and live it up…cuz before you know it you’ll be spending many hours a day staring at spreadsheets again

You’ll be fine. A lot of oil and gas companies are still hiring in Calgary, albeit less than one or two years ago. The budget process is being finalized in the next couple weeks for most companies so after that they will push on with hiring or not. Keep at it and good luck.

Thanks guys, it’s a really up and down thing being unemployed. I do spend alot of time following the market meltodown and the heavy political calendar (we just had an election up here), which is what I like to do, read. But ya, I feel pretty useless somedays I can’t lie. I have applied for alot of O&G jobs here to no avail, I’m not sure if there’s a freeze or they just don’t like my resume 1.5 of BOM work, Level III canidate, nothing spectular.

They tend to be pretty slow I’ve found. Their HR departments generally suck.

I envy your age and even your situation. If I were in Calgary and I were you I would find out what Mike Rose is up to. He recently sold his company, Duvernay, at nearly the peak perfect time to Shell. It’s the second time he’s grown a company and sold it. He is THE man with a plan. He usually keeps his team together but maybe some of them left. Learn about his history and send him a letter telling him that you’re an admirer and that you want to learn from the best. His previous company was bought in a hostile bidding war. He is admired in the oil patch. Tell him you’ll work for free if you have to. That’s what I would do if I were 23 in Calgary but alas i’m 39 in S.Cal with a family and a surfing addiction.

Halifax check out the CFA society website theres a couple jobs i applied for over there. And virgins idea isnt bad; cant hurt to network and impress THE man. i once showed up at a MD office to give him my resume. He admired my courage didnt give the job but gives me advice here and there.

What was the stomach disease you had?

pancreatitis actually…its a strange disease. I think booze brought it on. I know some people who have had worse cases of it than I told never to drink again. Yikes…

CFA_Halifax Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pancreatitis actually…its a strange disease. I > think booze brought it on. I know some people who > have had worse cases of it than I told never to > drink again. Yikes… just out of curiosity, how much would one need to down to get this?

Man up you big girl, you’re 23, you haven’t lost that much.

woah, virginhooker is old.

SkipE99 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA_Halifax Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > pancreatitis actually…its a strange disease. > I > > think booze brought it on. I know some people > who > > have had worse cases of it than I told never to > > drink again. Yikes… > > > just out of curiosity, how much would one need to > down to get this? I don’t know if it works that way. I didn’t drink all that much, but I was drinking consistently sort of deal.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you’ll figure something out in due time. for the > moment, make the most of every free day you have, > be thankful for good family and friends, and live > it up…cuz before you know it you’ll be spending > many hours a day staring at spreadsheets again +1 …enjoy it while it lasts …i guess it a good time to get a head start on lvl 3 …

I lived in Halifax for 2 years. I love the city! Is Toronto in a mess? Did you try to look for a job in Toronto?The big-5 seem OK for now…

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > woah, virginhooker is old. Youngster.