Business writing tips

TheAliMan Wrote: > > We have engaged in an evaluation of Company X Inc. > on an non-myopic basis which is inclusive of > quantitative models and relative valuation > analysis. We also completed a SWOT analysis and I > have concluded that it is prudent to advise our > clients that Company X Inc. is a highly suitable > investment for our clients’ portfolios. Moreover, > I have a strong tendency to gravitate towards the > belief that management is strongly competent in > creating opportunities of growth in various > segments of the market while still maintaining > high net profit margins. Along these lines, we > have also seen demand that is persistent from the > company’s growing customer base, and at the same, > the company has pricing power that is effectively > hurting competitors and may be rendering them out > of business. > > Company X’s products like Gadget X is the largest > makeup of the company which is constantly getting > more and more profitable by their product > development engineers. The reason? Personally, I > think that the engineers are hardworking and will > able to reduce the company’s costs per unit using > cheaper technlogy; while still maintaining > quality. > > For the above reasons, we recommend a strong buy > recommendation for Company X. > > — > > Is it good? Do you think my writing skills will > help me get a job at GS? Is this for real?

TJR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > An average of 27 words per sentence? Seems a bit > high. Mea culpa, max of 27 words per sentence

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is it good? Do you think my writing skills will > help me get a job at GS? 1. Needs work 2. No

Let me take it to a slightly different direction. I am a non-native speaker. My schooling was mostly based on ‘local’ language. It was only in sixth grade that I had some notable exposure of english grammer. I have been trying to reach to required standards of financial world. However, I am still unable to even bring myself to ordinary level. This weakness of mine was even noticed by couple of participants on this forum. However, no one provided me any solution to eradicate this flaw. Can anyone please suggest me anything (preferably non expensive option)

Geranimo, there are two approaches. The first is to practice, practice, practice. Find a friend/colleague who is native to talk to and help you out. I am a native speaker in a non-English speaking country and have been for over 10 years. So the majority of my colleagues are non-native. Many of them come to me for advice. You should likewise leverage people you know who are native speakers. The second approach is far better. As a nice French mademoiselle once said to me “The best way to learn is though the pillow…”. C’est mieux comme ca.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheAliMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Is it good? Do you think my writing skills will > > help me get a job at GS? > > > 1. Needs work > 2. No It was actually a facetious post :wink: Sadly, a few engineers I know at work actually write like that. However, no one is perfect, and they make up for it in their math and problem-solving skills.