c

Cover letter:

hi awesome future boss:

im excited to apply for position X which I found out about through [best of it’s someone they know, but otherwise a source where it was advertised]. I’ve enclosed my resume and a sample of my work to give you a sense of my background and work.

It’s important to choose well for a position like X. From the enclosed materials, you can see that I can help [Firm Name] outperform by:

• Best selling point on your resume.
  • Third best selling point.
  • Second best selling point.

I’m excited to work at [firm X] because [one or two reasons here]. I was very impressed by [Firm accomplishment, related to the position if possible].

I love working long hours and taking sh!t from my superiors and being the fall guy for stuff. I can make your life easier by being blamed for any problems you have with a smile.

I look forward to discussing with you in more detail about how I can perform in your [position name] role. My phone contact is xxx-xxx-xxxx, and my email is yyy@zzz.zzz.

sincerely,

O.P.

[ok, the second to last pragraph is tongue in cheek, but what you say is how you are easy to work with and eager to get what needs to be done done]

300-400 words tops. I will not read 1,000.

1, 3, 2.

People tend to forget the one in the middle.

if #3 is way worse than #2 then put it in 1-2-3 order.

It’s a minor point. If you put it in 1-2-3 order, it’s not a huge difference.

Didn’t read lol Shorten it up like everybody else is saying and don’t write it like it’s a creative writing essay. I would also take out that you scored over 70% on certain sections of the CFA tests. I don’t think the hiring manager is going to care.

Also, if I wasn’t famliar with how the CFAI scores the tests, I would look at your >70% stat and laugh and wonder why you were even including it.

ALL - Thank you so much.

Big credit going out to gamblingeconomist and bchad for the edit and example covering letter respectively. Hopefully this post can help many others write a good covering letter and avoid the potential pitfalls. I will report back with something more palatable and condensed and thank you all for your input!

Finally converted my gf to bullet points. No one wants to read your life story. If your life is interesting enough that someone might, I suggest you stop trying to be an analyst and write a book immediately.

I work in pricing & valuations of debt instruments at a large financial institution. it’s not all glamour, it’s just a job. you just need one, just one.

If you can’t even deal with people who are trying to help you get a job, how the hell are you going to survive your first year in a bulge bracket bank with those kinds of personalities?

That line “_ nobody has time to read this shit _” is LITERALLY what a Managing Director at Goldman Sachs told me when I showed him my 1 page cover letter before he wrinkled my essay and threw it in the trash.

There are ways to show enthusiasm without being long-winded, and it is a shame you don’t have the sophistication to see that.

You’re already disadvantaged by being an auditor…it just doesn’t translate to investor. You’re right in that accounting knowledge should give you an edge in being able to “tear apart” financial statements…but analysis of an equity opportunity is much more than that. Cut your letter down…try not to emphasize your auditing so much as no one gives a sh*t and focus on your qualities as an investor. Also, get thicker skin…no one likes a p*ssy.

Short answer to your original question in the topic: No.

NO!

Kidding. Like the previous commentators said shorten the cover letter and avoid any over the top wordings “tear apart financial statements”

Other than that you got a decent background. All the best!

Took one look at his first letter and almost closed the thread based on the massive length. Just wanted to see others comments. I’m not alone.

Brevity and simplicity are your friends.

This whole thread is now too long to read…

This is definitely too long. I stopped reading after the second sentence and checking how many paraghraphs you had. Do not think this is being hostile, on the contrary a well-intentioned advise that you should keep it short.

People almost always write letters that are too long when they start out. This letter is generating extra negative responses because it may be for some of us the longest cover letter we’ve ever encountered. It really feels over the top.

That said, the way AF condenses text and paginates things, it does look even longer than it would on typical letter paper. So there’s that too.

One thing you need to do is get rid of all the excess words that aren’t necessary to get your point across. All the transitional adverbs “However, moreover, etc.”. Phrases that are about chronology (“Subsequent to that…”). Qualifiers (“I might perhaps be interested in X” -> “X interests me”).

You can have an adjective here or there, to give some color, but use them sparingly, and every time you have a prepositional phrase or subordinate clause, ask yourself if you can find a single word or two words that makes using the longer phrase unnecessary.

That will help a lot.

Finally, remember that the letter contains basically five points:

1. What job you are interested in and how you learned about the position (preferably through a network contact)
  2. Why you are going to be good at the job and what experience prepares you to excel (but not every item in your history, just the two or three key points).
  3. Why you will fit in at that organization (often the hardest thing to argue, but the interview is for that, just show you know something about the company)
  4. State that you want the job (projecting earnestness rather than desperation) - people think this should be obvious or they wouldn’t have applied, but people like to hire people who clearly WANT to be there, so a statement of genuine interest is powerful. One way to do this is to say how the position fits into your career goals and so you are motivated.
  5. How to get in touch with you (not technically necessary, but it’s as good a closing sentence as anything else).

Remember that even if you do the cover letter perfectly, many people are not going to read it anyway and will go straight to the resume. If your resume seems like a plausible fit, THEN they might look at the cover letter. So don’t get fooled, the cover letter typically gets read AFTER the resume.

My theory is that the cover letter needs to expres the three key selling points (qualifications, cultural fit, and genuine interest). After that, the letter needs to highlight 2 or 3 of the most relevant parts of your resume. Basically, it says “don’t miss this on my resume”.

This is why bullet points ar so useful. It tells your reader what parts of your resume to zero in on as your selling point. Even if the reader doesn’t read the rest of the letter, they are likely to see the bullet points, and then your letter has done its job the best it can.

In general, maybe we should not take bchad’s advice on length of writing.

I don’t know if most people use actual bullet points on the cover letter. However, in principle, the cover letter should indeed come across like bullet points. You should have three or four short paragraphs that each have specific and concise points about your background.

Or you could just go this route:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Kboormk3Y

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267861/Aleksey-Vayner-Impossible-Nothing-r-sum-star-dead-overdose.html

You may very well benefit from the BIWS networking toolkit. If machiavelianism is not something that comes natural to you, it is best to take a systematic approach.