CAIA Level II - How did you go?

I totally did better than you bro :smiley:

Monito, how much does it matter whether 40% does better than you? It is true they bell-curve it down from 70% if not enough people pass?

I found the CAIA exam difficult in that you had to know minutia of every topic instead of knowing the general material well. Additionally, I too felt the topics did not fall in my favour…

Good luck for all those that wrote. The way the exam was written, I feel it’s luck to pass.

Passed L1 first-time without a college degree… maybe that was luck too.

I used 40% as a bit of an example. The do bell curve the pass rate but not against the number of people who pass.

The MPS (pass mark) is set to try an maintain a level of difficulty. I assume they use a modified Anghoff method like with the CFA. If this is the case each question will be assessed for difficulty (basically how many qualified practitioners would you expect to get the question right and these modified values will be used to set the passing grade.

This if course makes it difficult for us to guess where the pass mark is as we would have to understand the thinking in assessing each question.

This is why I suggested thinking about trying to reference yourself to the rest of the testing group. This might be because I work in an area where there is a large pool of people involved in the CAIA program, and for comparison the CFA. From my person experience I know a lot of CAIA charterholders and candidates whose investment knowledge I would not consider to be that strong (for various reasons) and this leads me to remain confident in spite of having found the exam harder than I had anticipated.

I also used Kaplan and did not feel prepared, even though I felt I put in the time. I got to question 92 on the multiple choice ( I should have managed my time better) but did not feel confident on that 92.

On part 2 do you have to show your work for calculations? I had several calculations and just put in the answer or at least what I calculated the answer to be.

Thanks and good luck to all.

It’s important to pace yourself.

My timing got a bit out of hand as well, when I found myself spent over 1 hr on 40 just questions. So I had to rush through the remaining questions (with less than 1 minute per each).

I also ran out of time. Which, again, not to harp on Schweser but during my practice tests, I would finish 200 questions in ~1hr 15 mins.

For the actual exam, I ran out of time at question 85.

What the heck, Kaplan?!

Hope I’m better than the 40% then… i’m not up for rewriting. Based on the exam content, I think the designation is now garbage. Nice to have but not worth more $ or time.

What’s wrong with the content?

It’s not a CFA by all means, but it’s fine for what it is and gives decent overview of alternatives.

Nothing wrong with content; something wrong with what they test.

Would anyone like to sell their CAIA textbook for level II?

You can have my textbook

Great thanks! Do you want to wait until the level 2 results are out to get rid of it?

You can have it now, no need to wait.

Perfect! Can you please email me so we can connect? My email is: optimisticforeigner@yahoo. Thank you!

thanks, I contacted you via e-mail

Anyone find it strange that we still havent been informed when results would be released? Last year they sent an email around the 3rd-4th of october.

I did CAIA 1 September last year and the notification was in the survey they sent, but I seem to recall there being similar confusion for L2 candidates I don’t remember any of them saying they were told when results would be released.

Still pretty poor as L1 results should be out on Monday, I think, and we still have no word from CAIA Association.

On a related point anyone find it strange that the post exam survey was not anonymous. I was fairly scathing of the exam structure and the questions they selected, and at the end of the survey it asks if I would be willing to be contacted to discuss further my comments if required

It should be in the survey email. I took Level 2 March 9th and got the survey email with the date results would be available on March 16th. Results for March came out April 22nd btw.

That had been my experience in Level1, but as you can see the email had no useful information only the point that the survey was not confidential.

Dear Monito,

The CAIA Association invites you to complete the Level II Candidate Survey for September 2013… We will use your input to evaluate the Level II curriculum and examination program. If you offer comments, a member of the CAIA Association staff may contact you to discuss your experiences and suggestions in greater detail.

Completion of the Level II Survey should take approximately 10 - 15 minutes. Please complete the Survey by Friday, October 4.

Thank you very much for your support of the CAIA Association!

Best, Trish Bonica Director of Candidate & Member Services

Please note: If you do not wish to receive further Candidate Survey emails from us, please click here, and you will be automatically removed from our Candidate survey mailing list.