CAIA stackable credential - CFA Charterholder POV please

If you qualify to skip CAIA Level 1 in the stackable pilot, what happens if you fail level ii? Are you simply able to re-register for Level ii and take the exam next time it is offered?

I used the stackable program to sit for CAIA 2 in September 2019. I finished the CFA in 1991, so I don’t remember that program so well, but the CAIA material was very useful and helps me understand some of the exposures I have in current portfolios better than I did before. Hopefully I don’t need to sit again in March.

I’m also considering signing up for Level 2.

I don’t have that much exposure to alternatives in the day job so the recommended 200 hrs will probably be needed. However, it’s all a little daunting.

Attacking the question bank before the readings work with this one?

Theoretically, yes. But that’s just teaching you how to answer questions rather than understanding. Like the CFA, you can rote learn everything, pass it all and still kind of know nothing.

Having done both CFA (LIII Candidate) and CAIA - i would say that there are a lot more linkages between CAIA topics whereas CFA is broad enough that most topics can be viewed in isolation. So it’s probably best to read first, try to understand it all relative to other topics then tackle the questions. I would say the approach for CAIA should be the same as CFA - go through the content, do the questions and review everything at the end.

Regarding the hours, the difficulty hurdle is significantly lower for CAIA - so maybe 100 - 150 hours? For reference, i started in mid July and wrote the exam in late Sep. I haven’t gotten results yet but i’d be quite suprised if i failed.

That’s good advice - good luck with the results. Fingers crossed for you

Started studying for March exam 3 weeks ago. Im a charterholder, and can say that the material definitely gets pretty detailed on some obscure topics, but others are just mentioned at a high level. I plan to “over-study” to mitigate the chance of having to re-take. In my mind, putting in extra hours and foregoing some hobbies/off-work fun far outweighs the pain of having to re-sit