Canadian Interest in CFA Soars

"Only 20 percent of the applicants for the exam complete all three levels, and the average candidate needs four tries to pass. " I always knew I was way above average.

zigy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > >… Yeah just like all the cabbies and waitresses > who are really doctors but cant get their > credentials translated… > > Yeah not only experience, they often do not > recognize education and even reference. > > One time I was going for this analyst role for a > asset mgt firm. When I told the interviewer, fund > mgr, I had MBA from US state univ. (not top tier, > but considered to be very good program for price), > he told me that’s like B. Comm in Canada. > > He also asked me who I could provide as reference. > I told him I could provide my ex-bosses in US and > Canada. He did not want to talked to US guy > because I was a trader there and the role was > analyst…irrelevant! But he wanted to talk to > Canada guy…even though I was in fund marketing > there. I did not know marketing was more relevant > to equity analysis than equity trading. > > No , I did not get that job…he did not even have > to talk to my ex-boss. I probably screwed up > written test, among other things I can think of. > > None of his analysts have charter, by the way. If > I did not have a charter, I did not even get a > call. So charter still works…for now at least. its funny that they value canadian experience so much because in the real world canadian experience dosnt mean sh*t. “I managed 2Billion GBP long short equity fund that consistently beat the S&P 500 with a beta of .55” “well what have you done in canada?” As soon as a qualify as a CA Im leaving the country, because it seems that a lot of employers haven’t realized that they need to compete globally for talent.

As a Canadian I’d just like to chime in with an apology on behalf of my country. It seems to me that the requirement for “Canadian experience” is basically the employer saying “I don’t want to hire a foreigner/non-white/non-native English speaker”. Since I moved to Europe for university and will be starting my career in the UK, I’m wondering whether I’ll ever be able to move back to Canada and maintain my career progression, since my “foreign credentials” (masters degree from LSE) and “foreign experience” (BB S&T) may well count for jack squat in my own (idiotic) country.

That guy was an exception, I am sure most bosses and managers would never be that dumb to compare a MBA degree from U.S. to a B.Comm from Canada. Most of the education curriculum is standardized from one country to another, you can find the same textbooks being used in classrooms half way around the world (and for a lot cheaper price too!! - check ebay).

Is it seriously that much of a stretch compare a Canadian B.Comm (ie Toronto, Queens, UBC, McGill) to a non-top 20 US state school MBA…? CFAMaven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That guy was an exception, I am sure most bosses > and managers would never be that dumb to compare a > MBA degree from U.S. to a B.Comm from Canada. Most > of the education curriculum is standardized from > one country to another, you can find the same > textbooks being used in classrooms half way around > the world (and for a lot cheaper price too!! - > check ebay).