Career advice needed

I would crush you macron . You a has been. I would even put money on it.

Totally agree with this. I know a guy (senior to me) I used to work with that highlighted some high-school scholar athlete award he won prominently on his resume… in his 40’s.

The guy bounced around from major banks but never spent more than 2-3 years at each. Turns out he is all talk and no real work. What I suspected when I saw his resume. I think now he started a landscaping firm or something…

UPDATE: I passed the CFA level 1, will be taking on lvl 2 in June. I enjoy my work and will be staying on for at least a 2 year stint (I interned last summer, and have been full time since september). My responsibilities are expanding, and I think I should be able to get solid recommendation letters (at least Dir of Strategy, maybe CFO).

The logical timeline would be to apply for the MBA class of September 2020? I will be 25 by then.

I have a few questions where I am asking for honest answers (I can take it):

1- Let’s say I pass the CFA lvl 2 in June, would it be smart for me to use 2019 for GMAT and grooming my resume to apply for the 2020 MBA class? I don’t think going for cfa lvl 3 (if I pass) make sense without the experience.

2- A very important question, my official title is analyst - corporate finance & investor relations. I feel like the corporate finance part could hurt me for MBA admission as it sounds boring but what it means is I am working with the CFO directly for all capital market transactions (debt funding/buybacks) and earnings. If I expand on the role, I can convince someone why it is a great job. It’s a S&P 500 company in the TMT sector too which is a sector on the rise.

3- I have my review coming up and I was thinking to ask to add “strategy” to my title as I spend about 20% of my time with the dir of strategy working on corp dev projects. Is this just stupid? Or something I should consider.

4- Does my overall plan make sense to you guys? Any advice on what I could do to improve my chances? I am now set on going back to school for an MBA as my undergrad was a state school non-target and I want to expand my network and “street cred” in the industry.

Thanks for your time.

Can you explain what you do in your role? I am interested.

No problem. I do a little bit of everything as we have a pretty lean team. We’re a high leverage growth company so we take on a ton of debt. So I work with my boss and the CFO on every debt deal we do (think HY, CMBS, Term Loans, Revolver repricing etc…). We also buyback a lot of stock. My group is also in charge of investor relations so I run analysis to answer queries from buy-side, do PPT slides for earnings, conference etc. I am also in charge of going through the models of the 20+ banks following us and make sure they’re sticking to the guidance and data points we provide. These guys are very often pretty far off… lastly I developed a good relationship with the dir of strategy so I work with him on special projects (think due diligence, disruptive initiatives, JVs etc…)