Career Direction

I already do that in my current role… I work at a fairly small company ($250-500M market cap), so myself and my small team will be responsible for the following:

external reporting, internal controls, planning & analysis, treasury and corporate development (but the deal sizes are small / infrequent) and the investment bankers we engage do a lot of the leg work as well. My CFO is obviously heavily involved for external reporting review and corporate development as well.

I did the large company circuit before (20B+), but was bored (due to lack of responsibilities) and got fed up with the politics and red tape, so not interested in going to a larger company to do corporate development.

dang u make 200k doing that. why would you quit and go to er.

its CAD Igor, about $150K USD

Yea, C$200K and that would be on the high end for sure. I will probably average C$170K, but given the high level of variable comp… I gave a range.

still sounds like a cushy gig to me. unless you feel like you wont advance past 200k in the next 5-10 years. if not then go to er but i wouldnt do it.

Well…Thanks for the advice everyone. Seems like majority is saying I should stay. I would like to think that generally speaking, people on this forum are smarter than the average bear, so I will lean towards sticking around unless I get something amazing somehow.

I used to look after a few big hedge fund guys when I worked in London, I asked the senior banker who I supported why do these guys keep working when they can ultimately pursue something more personal. I’m not that money orientated myself, but I do like the feeling of being successful, of which money is a biproduct. He replied “make hay whilst the sun shines” … I think you are currently in that position, but ultimately it depends if you’re happy … can you do something else outside of work, side project that can fill the gap. That is what I would look to do. I imagine with the salary that you are on it provides a good life for you and your family and that is not something to give away lightly.

That being said happiness comes first, but see what you can do externally outside of the current role to try and feed that need for something different, a new challenge/ project that is aligned to where you see yourself heading.

good luck.

Mike

def stay

ER sucks man. The research I get from the sell-side is terrible and already old by the time it hits my inbox. If you have a desire to do ER type work just do it as a side hobby.

^my man

Ehhh, this is true but the industry knowledge is still valuable. No one should be using ER report as the basis of their investment decision anyway but it’s a fast way to get up to speed about a name.