Career move: Compliance to Research

You said F500. Yes, I agree an entry level spot at Bob’s Fish Emporium FP&A group is possible for someone from PWM. The issue is you get folks with too much experience to be entry level but no relevant experience for the intermediate/senior roles. Most PWM guys would be there if trying to get into a F500 FP&A group.

Thanks Waterbucket! I’m positive, but not insane - I don’t expect my next job to be that, something in the right direction.

I’m also not going to sew my ego to the title of “Research”. It’s like this: I like doing certain things. I don’t get to do them in Compliance. I would do them in Research, but where else can I do them - financial analyst, I’ve seen some job specs. Some are much closer, some are just… I don’t even know what they need the person to do, put reports together and do a lot of “liaising”. Anyway, I’m open to it. I had a fleeting thought on investment guidelines. It’s further away that Financial Analyst, but closer to what I’m doing now… I know y’all have a natural aversion to Compliance, but it’s technical, lots of exposure… you just don’t get to perv at balance sheets and get to grips with it as much, you just get to see a lot of what is in the accounts and what investors are going for. Ideas?

Also, @rawraw, great practical suggestions, will get into that. May result in many questions, but, dare I say it, it sounds fun!

Even if I limited it to only F500 companies I would estimate that the number of open entry level jobs are still 2-3x times more numerous based on an assumption of 3 open jobs per large cap company than the sum of buyside and sellside gigs open that I described. Those are much better odds and you get hard skills. Maybe most of the entry level jobs are posted and filled by university students, but they are there nevertheless.

Agreed on on middle or higher level, but i don’t think it’s particularly relevant to the earlier points.

Sorry do Bob’s Fish Emporium FP&A group have an entry level vacancy? Man, I’ve wanted to work there for AGES!

^ Yes. But the planning consists only of how many fish pellets to buy and how often to clean the fish shit out of the tanks.

Also, don’t know about UK but regulatory compliance for banking is in great demand in USA due to new regulations. I know the Big 4 accounting firms have been adding those spots, which may not get you out of compliance but may get you into an easier spot to laterally transfer. Deloitte seems particularly aggressive in growing their compliance practice

^+1

PM me for a fun story of my experience with Deloitte! So yeah it is something I have considered but I’m naturally nervous of going into something where it might be that I carry on without gaining any more relevant experience. Any body any thoughts on investment guideline compliance?