Cash

As if. I wouldn’t set foot in such a disreputable dump.

This thread should be handed out to everyone who’s considering pursuing the charter. ‘See, it won’t make you a better investor or act rationally…check out these guys’

…good luck to all of you on your market timing efforts, I’m sure it’ll improve your lifetime returns.

Working great for 10yr returns (called subprime, called two china bull markets and got out before collapse, called flat markets in late 2014 and went with these sideways strategies), I expect the same for lifetime returns. cool

People in general can’t time markets because they are stupid, and because they believe (as you said) that you can’t time markets. Which is how you can time markets.

its more managing risk than timing markets

Managing risk is “attempting to time the market”, the industry does not approve of your risky behavior. laugh

Your statement about cash levels is incorrect…

http://www.evergreengavekal.com/evergreen-virtual-advisor-random-thoughts/

broken heart

Cliffnotes please

Actual cash levels are near 30 year lows.

Also, since borrowed money is the opposite of holding cash, and leverage is near cyclical highs, that would suggest an even lower amount of ‘net cash’ being held. Therefore, there’s not a lot of cash on the sidelines and the fear is not rampant as stated.

Maybe he’s into that whole Yale thing.

What does “cash on the sidelines” mean? When I buy an asset from you, my cash moves from my account to yours. Who’s the sideline? Me or you?

^I believe the reference was to company balance sheets and/or dry powder held by PE/VC

Where do individual investors keep cash? The dugout? And when cash leaves the sidelines or dugout, where does it go?

Yeah, the “cash on the sidelines” term doesn’t make sense, and it bothers me that people in all levels of markets use this without thinking about what it means. More accurately, we should say that “willingness to pay for stocks is repressed” during “risk off” periods, rather than that there is actual cash missing. If equities are down 10%, this means that willingness to pay for the shares has decreased, rather than that 10% of money has somehow exited the market.

You all are misinterpreting what I was saying. What I meant was active managers/retail investors have a higher portfolio allocation to cash than the historical average. Clearly, that is not the case based on Huskie’s article, which is concerning considering the obvious risks currently present.

“cash on the sidelines” should mean “companies aren’t buying their stock back anymore” because withholding buy backs is the only way money is truly being “pulled” from the market. obviously it’s not really being pulled but there is less buying and cancelling of shares than before and less than what was previously expected. it is also true that less buy backs correlates with declining economic growth and rapidly declining markets so rising cash on the sidelines using this definition could be a hint of something truly bad.

Idk about what it SHOULD mean, but based on a quick google search:

“The cash that is held either in savings or in low-risk, low-yield investment vehicles, such as certificates of deposits (CDs), instead of being placed in investments that have the potential for greater rewards, such as the stock market. Money on the sidelines is kept away from risk, especially during periods of economic or market uncertainty.”

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/money-on-the-sidelines.asp

I too have always been bothered by the “cash on the sidelines” term, I want Bloomberg data I can pull, something more defined. I guess you could look at low-return vehicles as mentioned above, also you could look at leverage (high margin is the opposite of cash on the sidelines)?

Just as dumb. You don’t hold cash in a CD just as you don’t hold cash in a bond or stock. Words mean something. “Cash or cash equivalents” means something. The talking heads need to learn to mean what they say and say what they mean. Or maybe they don’t know shit…

Seriously dude? Now we’re talking semantics. It’s pretty obvious what that means…