"Casual attire" for interview?

Super I Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Worst case scenario they ask why you dressed up… > tell them you had another inteview that day. > Makes you look more desireable. worst case is they ask you why you dressed up and you tell the truth! “I dressed up b/c anonymous posters on a anonymous cfa forum told me to.”

MFE Wrote: > worst case is they ask you why you dressed up and > you tell the truth! “I dressed up b/c anonymous > posters on a anonymous cfa forum told me to.” I’m looking like this because they told me to wear a crushed velvet jacket with leather pants and no socks! Doi!

prehaps go with the suit but wear a shirt/tie that is more laid back i.e. a bright color and unusual pattern that is the oposite of buttoned down banker shirt tie combo. That way if they are laid back kacki kind of guys you will not be too “stiff” but if they(or one of them) is more conservative you will still be wearing the busienss “uniform” and come across as proffessional.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Your in LA right? Well wear something hip then > but business like. Like a velvet jacket over a > t-shirt. Maybe leather pants. > > Chinos and a polo shirt will make you look like > you came from Conneticut and won’t go over well. Is this Northern CA? If in SF, you can’t go wrong with a*sless chaps.

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > UAECFA Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > Is this Northern CA? If in SF, you can’t go wrong > with a*sless chaps. LOL! i did some of my education in the bay area, and i definitely know better NOT to walk around in those

Ha ha… I think the Folsom Street Fair is over now anyway. That’s a tough question, Numi. Seems like you could be derided as the uptight East Coast guy if you dress up too much. But if the HR contact was off, that would stink too. I guess a nice button-down shirt and blazer would be good. Might leave the tie at home, but you guys are more knowledgeable about the degrees of male dress than I.

Light brown cashmere sport coat and light grey pants, blue and white striped shirt…no tie. There you go…

Brown and grey? Really?

Really…it’s gotta be a light brown cashmere with some very slight blue in it, Boss and Zegna both do an excellent version of the sport coat. The white in the shirt will ground the grey…believe me, I’m sporting the look today and it’s tight.

Heh. “Tight” I’ll trust you, Turkish. You know a lot more about men’s fashion than I do.

Appreciate the confidence 'grunt.

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ha ha… I think the Folsom Street Fair is over > now anyway. > > That’s a tough question, Numi. Seems like you > could be derided as the uptight East Coast guy if > you dress up too much. But if the HR contact was > off, that would stink too. I guess a nice > button-down shirt and blazer would be good. Might > leave the tie at home, but you guys are more > knowledgeable about the degrees of male dress than > I. for some reason i’m not able to feel appropriate dressing so casually for an interview, but maybe it’s the new yorker in me. but i decided to roll with a light blue dress shirt, navy blue slacks with subtle pinstripes, and black balmoral oxfords. i definitely felt “sharp” in the attire, but it was also casual going without a tie or a blazer. the guys i met with wore polo shirts and khakis - i guess that’s standard weekend attire out on the west coast - but i wanted to make sure i felt comfortable in my clothes over the course of a six-hour meeting and i think what i wore was definitely casual yet professional at the same time. i just couldn’t bring myself to wear anything more casual. anyway, thanks for the feedback…for what it’s worth, if you’re in a similar situation as i am and you wear the same thing, it’s tough to go wrong. it’s definitely better to err on the side of being overdressed rather than underdressed, but if they tell you it’s business casual, just make sure you’re still business casual and not more than that.

I got the answer! I watched the Clint Eastwood movie marathon on the Lone Star station over the Labour Day weekend. It was so nice to be CFA-less! Anyways, if you go with the “fist full of dollars” look you can’t go wrong. Clint would go into town ready for gun-slingin. His look definitely meant business. The cowboy hat, the boots, the trademark poncho, and a bitten cigarello in his mouth showed he wasn’t foolin around.

Yeah, wearing a gun to an interview is bound to impress. And if you get the “how agressive are you” question, you can just start shooting in the air! Numi, how did you like the west coast? I grew up in Palo Alto, but am now very much a New Yorker (when I’m not a Carioca).

Did you go to Paly, bchadwick?

Yeah, I was at Paly. I was just thinking about it yesterday when I read that my old Latin teacher had died and now has a scholarship named after her. She was a zany character, but it was one of the most influential classes I ever took in high school - I probably learned more about the English language from my Latin teacher than I ever learned from my English teachers (though the language teachers were good at exposing us to literature).

Ah. I went to college with a lot of Paly kids. But the Paly kids always crowded my favorite burrito place, Rojoz, thereby delaying my enjoyment of the Holy Frijole.