CFA annual dues reimbursement?

My firm has used degrees and CFA designations in marketing materials. If your firm has anything that talks about how you have X PhD’s and Y CFA charterholders, that could help you make your case.

Unfortunately, if your boss doesn’t think it’s important, then you are probably in a tough spot. If you work at a larger company, sometimes the reimbursement policy is universal. Maybe check if there is a firm wide policy on licensing or professional designations. Good luck!

Yup, dues for national and local both go on my corporate AMEX.

I think the issue is you should not have to justify how it is required to do your job. It is simply who you are as an employee (and the person with the qualities and skills they hired). So your dues are essentially part of the package in my opinion. Otherwise, some dick responses to the questions you posed:

"your boss doesnt have it so you clearly don’t need it”

Well maybe he/she should, registration is open. Thats because he/she couldnt do it. My goal isnt to match my bosses life. While my direct boss doesnt have it there are plenty of smart people that do.

“if you didn’t have it, you’d be doing the same job”

Yes but I would be doing it with less knowledge, and probably doing worse at my job. I don’t believe this is the last role I will have in my career and would like to be qualified to continue to grow. It’s interesting that you look to fill positions by deterring proactive learners.

Its a few hundred dollars, quit being a prick and sign off on it.

My employer pays my CFA and ASA dues. They also covered my CFA exam fees and the weekly review courses I took. They also covered my ASA BV courses and the required travel to the courses and send me to the annual BV conference. I also have a couple of other annual membership dues they cover. I’ve never tallied it all up but it would probably be a pretty good chunk of change ( especially factoring in the travel and hotel cost for the ASA BV courses). Needless to say, I’m not looking to go anywhere else any time soon.

IMO, those are some dick responses from whoever you spoke with. It doesn’t seem like the CFA is necessary in your role and thus his points may be somewhat valid. If you are fighting this based on principle, then find out if others have had this fee reimbursed or if it should be covered based on your firm’s reimbursement poilcy. If you are fighting this for 275$ a year, I think you have better fights to choose - this is not worth a ding on your reputation with the firm.

Agreed. Pick your battles. If you see resistance from the employer, fight for something that’s worth more than $275.