CFA candidacy helpful to MBA app?

IheartMath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mzwerner Wrote: > > > During my Yale and Darden interviews > > they were very impressed that I was a level III > > candidate, while on the other hand the Duke > > interviewer had no idea what the CFA was. When > I > > was talking about the time commitment he seemed > > rather puzzled > > > I’ve heard that people outside of finance do not > normally know what the CFA is, and that is > understandable. But, I find it shocking when I > hear that interviewers for b-schools havent. > Mostly because they must have interviewed other > candidates before, who I’m sure were also pursuing > or were CFA’s? It just seems puzzling to me and I > almost would not want to go to a school where they > didnt know what it was (depending on what the > interviewers previous/current occupation is > outside of teaching). It’s not exactly some > random bizarre designation… At Duke the second year students do interviews, not faculty, which helps explain the above. I doubt many finance types sign up to volunteer to do incoming student interviews…

Sorry yeah Duke was a 2nd year student. Actually so where my Yale & Darden interviewers. Dwight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > IheartMath Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > mzwerner Wrote: > > > > > During my Yale and Darden interviews > > > they were very impressed that I was a level > III > > > candidate, while on the other hand the Duke > > > interviewer had no idea what the CFA was. > When > > I > > > was talking about the time commitment he > seemed > > > rather puzzled > > > > > > I’ve heard that people outside of finance do > not > > normally know what the CFA is, and that is > > understandable. But, I find it shocking when I > > hear that interviewers for b-schools havent. > > Mostly because they must have interviewed other > > candidates before, who I’m sure were also > pursuing > > or were CFA’s? It just seems puzzling to me and > I > > almost would not want to go to a school where > they > > didnt know what it was (depending on what the > > interviewers previous/current occupation is > > outside of teaching). It’s not exactly some > > random bizarre designation… > > > At Duke the second year students do interviews, > not faculty, which helps explain the above. I > doubt many finance types sign up to volunteer to > do incoming student interviews…

It is a little sad that Adcoms put so little emphasis on the CFA, or like a previous poster said Duke’s dean had no idea what it is.I I have also read arguments stating that the CFA is really redundant for people who have BBA in Finance. I think the difference is that the CFA levels show a level of compentencey in IM as opposed to any good old finance BBA.

“It is a little sad that Adcoms put so little emphasis on the CFA” You think it’s sad that a rigorous professional credentialing program was created for people who manage the life savings of others? Willy

“You’d need to be someone like me:”… nice! WillyR, you are definitely a humble dude. Candidacy in the CFA level program definitely means something. Omitting the fact that you are a level III, II or I candidate sounds ridiculous. It is a difficult exam to pass and preparing for the exam takes A LOT of free time which says something about the candidates work ethic. But they aren’t you or like you… so, maybe they just aren’t good enough. WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t think CANDIDACY would help you get into > a Top school. You’d need to be someone like me: > CFA Charterholder, proven track record of using it > and a little be older. What’s funny - I find - is > that once you meet this criteria, you’ll probably > opt against an MBA. > > My two cents… > > Willy

nor cal > so cal

put “clinton correctional facility - class of 2018” - much better chance of getting a job in investment banking…