CFA (Charter Pending)

The problem is because apparently in the past (I’m too lazy to look up the link in this site, sorry) if you passed the CFA Level III exam and logged in, it would say CFA (charter pending). If that’s incorrect, I know the FAQ USED to say “CFA (charter pending)” or something to that extent is acceptable. This why many people on Linkedin or whatever state it.

It’s obviously no longer in the FAQ and was removed from the curriculum and web site since 200X.

you must not imply any partial designation. “Pending” makes it sound like you’re halfway there or you’ve got it but just need some approval of some sort. wrong.

“CFA (Pending work exp)” is misleading. there are multiple requirements to gain the right to use the CFA charter - listing one means that you have already been approved of the other requirements, which is false, CFAI does not issue partial designations. it’s vague and not allowed. the correct way of stating your question in the header line of your resume or cover letter would be “BayStreet, Passed Level III of the CFA Program” then in your subsections you are allowed to say you will be eligible once you have the correct work exp etc.

you are allowed to say you require work exp etc, but not in your header line with your name. violation all the way. the question is regarding the header of your name. also you never place your CFA credentials before your name. this is right out of the CFAI text books for Level I and II exams.

imagine if everyone could write down what their charter is pending, it would be terrible and everytime someone reads a resume header line they’d be like “ok this person has this and this, but not that?” this way it keeps the header lines clean and consistent.

Another point to consider is that according to CFAI, charter holders are only able to use the trademark in the name (Name, CFA) upon paying annual membership fees.