CFA charterholder in October, Terminated in November, unemployed since

And meanwhile those quiet introverted shy ie asians are pulling down 6-7 figures while you’re bouncing around your third job in two years, working on holidays and weekends, and only able to afford to live in an undesirable part of town. But hey, at least you’re keeping it real, right?

There’s room for many types in finance. I actually stayed away from it early on because I thought they were all gordon Gekko / Patrick Bateman types. Then I discovered that there is room for quieter types.

I also think that standing up for yourself is a different situation than picking fights. CvM’s message is don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself, not necessarily “throw your weight around, and you’ll get ahead.”

It’s took me far to long to learn, but I eventully figured out that the right approach is “Don’t throw the first punch, but it’s sometimes important to hit back.”

What you want to project in an interview if you’re in 8EEZBaby’s position is that you reacted to something objectively inappropriate, and reassure others that this only happens in seriously innapropriate stuff i.e. colleagues won’t need to be walking on eggshells. How you do that is very individual, but as long as you do it, it should be good.

On a related topic of douchebaggery, I saw this article while clicking on a friend’s post this morning and thought it might resonate with some of the fine folk here on AF:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anatomy-of-a-new-modern-douchebag

I was responsible for reviewing and signing off investment recommendations/sales that our financial advisors would make to clients. So my work experience was approved no problem. As for my job application process, I’ve been averaging two interviews a month and it just stops there after the 1st interview.

I’m really not a hothead at all and that was my first outburst on the job in my 6 years of being there. The individual who came at me was more of the “hot head” type and had a personal vendetta with our manager. I just got caught in the crossfire beef.

Growing up as a black male from an affluent family, I’ve grown accustom to the overt/covert racism that comes along the way. So it usually doesn’t bother me, except for that fateful day unfortunately. To put it another way, I’m that lovable only “black friend” you have that’s in your group when you go out.

I’m surprise by some of the positive comments on this post. Thanks fellow AF’ers, I’m feeling a little better today.

The advantage for a manager to hire shy types is that they tend not to jump ship nor negotiate too hard for salary increases.

To those saying that finance needs A types: of course. A d there are several highly qualified A types for every competition that haven’t been fired for workplace conflict. This guy didn’t get fired from an old folks home for speaking too loud. He got fired from one shop, probably full of A types, for crossing the line. Why would I take that on? I’ll go find a go getter that hasn’t been turfed. You don’t need to go fight someone to prove you’re a go getter. To the OP: Lots of people get fired and manage to get back on the horse. You’ll be fine. I’m just suggesting trying to explain your explosive rage incident as symbolic of a go get it attitude is probably not the best way to move forward. Cover it up. As a wise Canadian politician once said, “shoot, shovel and shut up.”

Look, here’s the issue; you’re incriminating yourself. As an applicant you have the obligation to 100% tell the truth. However, there is no need to tell them more than they need to know.

Some time back (almost two years ago) I was in a similar predicament. However, I was getting a good number of interviews. This was through referrals, lowering expectations, and not being so picky. Mind you my resume with a big time company garnered attention as firms that hold lower national prominence (respecatble in the regional area). Anyways, there were multiple RE PE interviews and I did not work in ibanking before. At the end of the day it was an uphill battle.

Your first objective needs to be get back in the game. I’ve seen this before; people are let go, join a lower tier firm and grind there for a year (maybe more, maybe less). Nonetheless, their story is easier to explain as their currently employed. Sure, you have to still discuss that ‘hurdle’ from your past. But it’s not as much of an issue.

All the above info is pretty good. Definitely keep your mind right now b.c if you’re weak they will see it. No one hires someone who is weak. And don’t seem desperate.

You have to skate around the issue. The more interviews you do, the better you’ll get at it.

Yup; this. ^

You’re probably going to need to settle for a lesser job for a year or two to prove that you’re employable.

Once you’re back working, the stank of being fired will begin to wash off of you over time.

You can probably find back office trade support/compliance/operations roles on a temp/contract basis. If they like you they’ll keep you on as a full-time employee. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

^Literally what I did

I had to come back and tell how this story ended. Back in September 2014 I was finally able to find temp work in a back office compliance role at a RIA in NYC. Very similar to my old job in 2013. The pay was a little less than my previous employer, but I didn’t care because I finally had a steady paycheck coming in along with an active Series license. So I bided my time in my temp compliance role (made sure to do a hell of a job) until an internal product analyst position open up(early 2015) which asked for a candidate with a CFA charter.

Naturally, I applied and was catapulted to the top of the candidate pool since my boss at the time gave me a great recommendation to the hiring manager. Long story short, I accepted their offer (late winter 2015) for the analyst role which was a 47% increase in base from my old job in 2013!!

This role may not be that sexy “stock picker” job, but I actually do use the knowledge that I learned on the CFA on a daily basis. Also this new position leads me to interact with all types of charter-holders and people from different firms, SMA managers, as well as Mutual Fund wholesalers who buy my team lunch/HH etc. There aren’t that many charterholders in my firm so the CFA holds A LOT of weight in the office (versus my old job where people didn’t know or care what it was). Literally a complete 180 from where I was 1 year ago.

I just wanted to thank all the people on this forum for your positive comments! Bad times are really something you just have to fight through to get to a better place :slight_smile:

Welcome to Amerika!

Excuse me, but in the states we call it Murica!

Yee haa! yes

Cool, Life isnt thave at bad!!

I m going through much the same, but there are a lot of worse things

1. Been doing CFA for 5 years now, gave level 3 last week

2. Not a lot of real experience, been in back office stock trading, preparing trade reports, although learnt fin modeling, have’nt practiced much

3. Relocated to Singapore, for 3 months now

The way forward is of-course job hunt full throtle and network, but with this sort of career, are there chances fo anyone really making it in Finance!!

Your’ll advice will go a long way in helping!!

^ Moving to Singapore next year. How you liking it? Any observations on finance salaries vs your home market?

On realtive terms the market has good entry level pay, and in comparision to home market, the minimum pay is quite high!

The challenge though is the job requirements are pretty specific and for entree’ openings there’s a draught… angry

You pay the price always…ya ya…no free lunches!!

Lol , it’s one of the most fucked up things in the US that everyone sweeps under the rug. I’d tell you to get the fuck out of there but I suspect it’ll fall on deaf ears.

Congrats and good luck.

I’m sorry but this is money!!! LMAAAAAAO!

Best wishes to you. Don’t let down.

Hell yea! That’s awesome. I was also unemployed for 1.5 years for awhile. It’s tough but everyone manages and get out of the slump they’re in. Great to hear you’re back in action!