CFA Designation on CV

Does the CFA Institute give out such information?

“passed level 1 of the cfa exam in the first try” Why would a person put this on his/her resume rather than “Level x Candidate in the CFA Program?” “passed all three levels on my first attempt” Once you obtain the charter employers know that you passed all 3 levels, so why “passed all three levels on first try?” These are facts, but so are “Level x Candidate…” and “CFA” after your name on the resume. What motivates a person to use the ones with “first try”?

I think it’s fairly obvious what “motivates” people, Sombrero: in a marketplace full of Charterholders it could act as an extra mark of distinction, and why should it not? Does anybody dispute that passing all three levels first try in three years is a superior achievement to taking the best part of a decade to gain a charter with multiple resits? Who would YOU rather employ? There is nothing wrong with saying “on first try” if it’s true. Just don’t try to spin it out beyond the bare facts.

Hey, Just notice an idea above that you may offence someone by mentioning you passed a level of the CFA. I am aware of the issue when coming to talk with someone, especially for interviews. I feel much more confortable to talke with people who already have the designation or are in the program.

my personal and professional opinion (and I do review many resumes of people who are either enrolled or finished the CFA), is that i would probably wouldn’t give it too much thought, but depending on how you put the rest of your CV together, I might get the distinct impression that you are a bit full of yourself. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with stating ‘Level x Candidate’… it is neither presumptuous nor self agrandizing and is merely a statement of fact. The CFA, as opposed to say the MBA, does not publish grades so saying that you’re better in any way is ultimately not taken as being credible, which can only hurt you. And those institutions have found better ways of saying these things than what you’ve suggested (i.e. graduating with honors, Suma Cum Laude, etc.) Sure, lots of people don’t pass the exam the first time, but than again, I’m sure there are some people out there that studied for a much shorter period than you and passed anyways and can you say that? Also, as widespread as the CFA is becoming in the industry, there are still plenty of people who neither have it nor think highly of it, so showing tact when presenting yourself is more important than showing off.

ok, great forum here. I’m building a fresh resume, and trying to leverage some interviews with good firms and hopefully a better job: Question (Dwight Schrute’s tone of voice): How would it look to put the exam in which you passed. For example, I passed L1 in Dec 06 and L2 in Jun 07. Is it commonplace for candidates to put this, or just refer to themselves in my example as a Level III candidate?? I lean towards just Level III candidate, but I like the look the look of a resume which says the I graduated Oct 06, passed L1 in Dec and then L2 in Jun 07. It looks like I’m on a roll. Or more likely I need a life! thanks

L3 Candidate is the most common citation, strikes a decent balance between modesty and boastfulness.

sounds good

Hali, you did it at full time?

No in Fall I wasn’t working. Started working in Feb.

Why wouldn’t you put Level II or Level III candidate on a resume? Not doing so is riduclous in my opinion. Many listings actually state that they require the CFA, or progress towards it. Showing that you are enrolled in the program, albeit not completed, stands for something - similar to showing a part-time MBA in progress etc.

I think stating facts is definitely allowed. Whether doing so is “sad” or not is not even a consideration. A CV is your place to brag tactfully. If you’re going to be a shrinking violet even on your CV, how are you going to stand out in a meeting if it is called for? As for the following comment regarding a marketplace full of charter holders, I don’t know why Mandelbrot is saying so. There are only some 87,000 charter holders world wide. That’s about as rare a professional designation as there is. Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it’s fairly obvious what “motivates” > people, Sombrero: in a marketplace full of > Charterholders it could act as an extra mark of > distinction, and why should it not? > > Does anybody dispute that passing all three levels > first try in three years is a superior achievement > to taking the best part of a decade to gain a > charter with multiple resits? Who would YOU > rather employ? > > There is nothing wrong with saying “on first try” > if it’s true. Just don’t try to spin it out > beyond the bare facts.