CFA Designation Vs. MBA degree

You really figure out what do you want to do? Its like accounting. If you want to become an accountant, you have to pursue an accounting designation. This is similar to the CFA. If you really want to pursue a career in portfolio management you will have to pursue CFA. Think of it…at the end of the day, if you are in the M & A, you will have to close the deal not dealing with this portfolio theories. In the MBA, if you do it right, you can get a really good job before your graduation and there are people helping you out (i.e. school). There are companies going to visit your school. Then you will have more opportunities to get an interview (i.e Reputable companies like Goldman, Boston Consulting, McKinsey etc…) Unfortunately, in the CFA, you are on your own to find your job even you finish the program. I know people who finish the program and still have a hard time looking for a job even you argue CFA is more demanding than an MBA.

The key question is where do you want to go after your degree/accreditation? MBA provides you with more opportunities (especially if it’s from a recognized scnool), better networking opportunities at that stage of the game (and verly likely a decent starting position after your MBA), and a broad base of knowledge. The hardest part is to get in a good program - once you’re in, it’s very hard to fail. CFA, just like any other recognized designation, provides you with expertise in a particular field. Obviously, you are more limited with where you can go, but if your mind is already made up, CFA is the way to go. I am well aware of the differences in cost, but I would not even consider costs, because investment in education is always a good (long term) investment.

adrenalin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The key question is where do you want to go after > your degree/accreditation? > MBA provides you with more opportunities > (especially if it’s from a recognized scnool), > better networking opportunities at that stage of > the game (and verly likely a decent starting > position after your MBA), and a broad base of > knowledge. The hardest part is to get in a good > program - once you’re in, it’s very hard to fail. > CFA, just like any other recognized designation, > provides you with expertise in a particular field. > Obviously, you are more limited with where you > can go, but if your mind is already made up, CFA > is the way to go. > I am well aware of the differences in cost, but I > would not even consider costs, because investment > in education is always a good (long term) > investment. excellent post!

bostonkev Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > - To get an MBA, not being retarded is probably > the key. > > - To get a “top notch” MBA, you first have to show > that you were smart and/or hard working at one > point…and then not being retarded is key to > finishing. > > - In order to pass three CFA levels, you have to > work hard and be pretty smart. > > That’s my long story short…lol. i kinda disagree with the last point. u dont have to be pretty smart. u just have to understand the topics.

kellyc319 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry the previous post was in response to… > > Re: CFA Designation Vs. MBA degree > Posted by: rhuldisch (IP Logged) > Date: July 9, 2008 05:28PM > > > Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh %%%^%$ BS. > > It is always about my kung fu is better than your > kung fu!!! > > Fact: If you get in MBA school; the vast majority > will finish with degree. > Fact: If you sign up for CFA, only small > percentage will get designation. > > Now, now people, AM I WRONG HERE? PL-EAS-SE!!! the fact that a small number of ppl finish the CFA does not really mean anything. look @ numi, he is in PE with only level 1 completed. there is no real incentive for him to finish the other levels unless he really wanted to add to his knowledge base.

What about a CFA with a Law degree? I work with a guy who is a J.D. CFA and he’s doing pretty well for himself.

you have to get accepted to the program unlike the CFA. You are misleading the facts…

the real question is what is the difference in rewards between a CFA charterholder and a top 15 mba.

pacmandefense Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > the real question is what is the difference in > rewards between a CFA charterholder and a top 15 > mba. Exactly. Say CMU, UNC, Texas or USC. That is the relevant question for most of us who likely won’t get into better schools.