CFA in Corporate Finance

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Wow, that stuff actually sounds interesting. I > had imagined Treasury as very blah stuff. Dude, treasury is basically the same as being a hybrid money manger and investment banker of you get into a shop that has lots of cash to manage, risk to hedge and firms and projects on the radar for implementation and acquisition respectively. It can be very dynamic. The caveat is it can be very mundane at small and/or unsophisticated shops. Treasury and Accounting is a double duty. Therfeore Treasury guys get stuck doing bank recs, depositing checks, and making entries to the G/L. At large sophisticated firms it’s more likely accountants will do boring sh!t like that.

Plus you get I-bankers catering to your every whim, tickets to shows, fine dining in Silicon Valley, etc, etc… Lot of perks to the gig. I enjoy it. The 40 hour weeks are great. I work out for an hour everyday at my company gym. Good luck with that when you are an I-banker!

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Plus you get I-bankers catering to your every > whim, tickets to shows, fine dining in Silicon > Valley, etc, etc… Lot of perks to the gig. > > I enjoy it. The 40 hour weeks are great. I work > out for an hour everyday at my company gym. Good > luck with that when you are an I-banker! Sounds sweet. Whats your background fxguy1234, if you don’t mind my asking?

Thanks Big Babbu, fxguy. I guess I now have some newfound respect for you treasury guys.

CFAchief- no worries, I think it is a common misconception. Gouman - not at all, Just got my bachelor’s in June of '07, and came to work in a financial analyst program at my company (Fortune 1000, tech). Got the Treasury Analyst position after a few months of networking and hard work. Company and manager have been highly supportive in sponsoring me to get my CFA (L1, dec08)(only 2nd person to do this in company history as most are CPA’s). I plan on working here and getting management experience (Treasury Manager) before heading off to B-School. What’s you background?

not wishing to hijack the thread but i am hearin mixed statements about CFA’s relevance to corporate fin department of I-banks as well. I m talkin about a role which involves IPO’s, feasibility studies, valuations, financial modelling, banking memorandums, investment memorandums, information memorandums ok the versions - 1 CFA+MBA is the ideal situation 2 CFA+CPA is the ideal 3 MBA from top universities is ideal 4 only CFA will do as well so may i know your views?..i know its been discussed on and off but no harm touching it a bit again

May I add 5: MBA + CPA

yeah so five choices…which one would be best for Corp Fin of IB firm

MAppFin + CFA

MBA, CPA, CFA

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAchief- no worries, I think it is a common > misconception. > > Gouman - not at all, Just got my bachelor’s in > June of '07, and came to work in a financial > analyst program at my company (Fortune 1000, > tech). Got the Treasury Analyst position after a > few months of networking and hard work. Company > and manager have been highly supportive in > sponsoring me to get my CFA (L1, dec08)(only 2nd > person to do this in company history as most are > CPA’s). > > I plan on working here and getting management > experience (Treasury Manager) before heading off > to B-School. > > What’s you background? I too graduated in spring 2007 with a BS in management and finance . I did my one internship in corporate finance and one in asset management. The AM internship was on a CDO desk summer of 07 (thought I had it made), but as you can imagine that opportunity got vaporized after those two Bear funds blew up and the current troubles manifested. Since I basically put all my eggs in one basket and skipped all the on campus recruiting events, when the CDO group got dismantled, I was screwed on finding a new AM gig (at least not without being out of work for months, which I could not afford to do). Anyhow, I took my current corporate financial analysis gig to immediately gain some general analytical work experience and work on my corporate finance skills. I am planning on going to B-School either fall 2009 or 2010. Until then, I’m just trying to pass CFA 1 and 2, and stay fresh in terms of my security analysis and portfolio management knowledge. I am seriously considering doing the CTP program in 2009. I feel like treasury would be a good fit for me. Not as much upside on pay (relative to financial services), but excellent in terms of work life balance and the pay ain’t that bad either. Overall, I just want to do forward looking analysis particularly as it relates to the investment decision making process and preferably at a financial services firm. Equities or HY credits would be great, but I’m flexible as to what specific area I would specialize.

After reading this post I’m starting to feel better about my current situation… I’m graduating this December, interviewed with a very small handful of financial services firms, but it looks like my chances are 500% better at getting into corporate finance. I’ve interviewed for several finance rotation programs with companies like Boeing, Lockheed, GE, Johnson & Johnson, Capital One, IBM, HP, and a few others. What do you guys currently in corporate finance think about the finance rotations? It seems like I can get a wide range of experiences, but I hope they’re not just like a series of internships. I’ve also applied to several corp fin positions in off the wall places like Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, Bratislava, Slovakia and Belgrade, Serbia. That would be awesome if I got one of those spots, and I think the finance + international experience would go well for an MBA at INSEAD or Thunderbird. Man… looking for a job now is depressing. I had such high hopes last year around this time… now I’m hustling to get an interview with Ford, let alone Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley.

Yea you just need to take what you can get right now. Rotations are cool you will get to build a wide skill set in a relatively short period.

Gotta be honest with everyone, I don’t get to see a lot of the Corp Fin guys, but what I’ve seen it isn’t glamourous at lot. Lots of capital structure model builind for the sake of Powerpoint presentations to the CFO, only to be shot down for some idea that’s too “outside-the-box”. Mostly, I see a lot of young kids being worked real hard. Corp Treasury isn’t a cake walk, but I think it’s more interesting and varied. At least we’re involved with the street with the execution of the share repurchase programs/debt issuance/portfolio management. My 2 cent. Cheers!