CFA Level 2 Fail: Band 7

Well…

Here is my result: Band 9 Fail (Band 4 in 2015, Band 6 in 2016). Feel terrible but this only shows that I am not good enough at it yet :slight_smile:

Below 50%: derivatives and FRA. Clearly I need to work on FRA more as I was never comfortable with it. I think I also know where I screwed up on Derivatives.

51-70: AI, Equity, Ethics, Quant

70+: CF, ECON, FI, PM.

Here is what I plan for the next year :frowning:

Go over my notes together with the CFA Summariesi Blue Box and EOC. Review, Review, Review and Practice, Practice, Practice.

Although I had enough time before the exam I did not enter exam feeling like I studied enough (I spent a lot of time but I guess not efficient enough). In fact I think I went through only 20% of the Qbank. Completed moch exams but did not have enough time to complete them in a “test environment” and also did not review.

I feel like my issue is not the material itself but rather not reviewing and practicing enough. So that is where I am planning to focus.

Open to all suggestions. Good Luck to all.

EOCs on FRA are very good practice materials, do them three times and you’ll kill FRA. Next time you are going to pass L2 man.

Canoo

I failed Band 6 this year. Go on and you will succeed I am sure. I admire you for not giving up.

Failing at least once is part of the journey for the majority of candidates. Do not let it dishearten you from achieving your goal.

400hrs in 4 months seems intense. Especially on the bounce from Dec L1 (plus full time job?). You could spread it out a little by starting earlier - Dec/Jan perhaps. I trust you will know better what works for you.

2nd time around you will have a decent grasp of the material so focus the majority of your studies on BB, EOC and past papers. Working with MCQ, question why the incorrect answers are wrong. It will help you understand concepts/calculation and identify traps you may succumb to under exam stress.

Keep at it. Do a lot of timed mock tests, they will build a lot of confidence. I had done 6 Schweser,1CFAI official, and 2 IFT mocks. It made a lot of difference.

Tons of candidates give up after failing level 2. You need to ask yourself do you really want this or not and make a call.

Dear Studyninja,

I think you probably rushed thro’ given that you did not have a background in the subjects.

Given that you are in Band 7, I think your score would have been around 45-50 range.

Focus on (a) Corporate Finance (b) FRPA © Ethics and (d) Fixed Income.

Considering you may not have formal coursework in (a) and (b), they may be your areas to focus and improve on. May want to consider working along with someone in your locality that have a background in these. If you can improve on these areas to 70+ and retain your edge in Equity and Portfolio Management - You should be able to reach 65-70%.

Essentially focus on scoring high on the heavy weight areas. Its easier said than done.

Tailor make a schedule and work plan that fits your requirement. What works for person A may not work for person B. Most members here swear by mocks and review of mocks, but for Itemset questions, I think your depth of knowledge matters more than practice.

Best wishes.

I did Zero Mocks due to lack of time.

Never opened Alt Inv book due to lack of time.

Barely reviewed ethics due to lack of time.

Walked in with PF review 16 days old in my mind due to lack of time.

FRA: I never studied the last chapter and an entire vignette from that chapter showed up

Ethics, PF, AI <50

Econ, FRA 50-70

the rest above 70… Passed

I did only half the topic tests. All of the EOCs twice, some thrice. all comes down to how you wrap it up in the last 2 weeks or so IMO

Why would you skip doing BB & EOC… not doing those definitely disadvantaged you

If you are taking L3, do as much as AM mocks you can. It helps. Itemsets - the efficacy of mocks is overrated.

Thanks for the tip bud!

Band 5 in June 2016 and Band 6 this year. Feel really sad tho

Score Matrix below:

>70% : Equity, Quants & Alt. Inv.

50 - 70: Corp. Fin & Fixed Income

<50%: Ethics, FRA, Portfolio Mgt, Econs & Derivatives.

Am in the same boat with Canoo and FloFromParis, my major issue is time to review and do alot of practice test.(including Mock, EOC, CFAI Blue Boxes). FRA, Corporate Finance & Fixed Income (Including Equity) are my strong areas but lack of review and practice let me down.

I believe I will crush next year if i do the needful (review & practice).

Congrat to all those who passed.

Cheers…