CFA > NBA

nice to see people in the AF who like the NBA. I’ve been watching the playoff games with my Schweser book on the side of my bed. Never opened it. I wanted Lebron to win it all, but now I prefer the Magic to win it. But Kobe’s probably going to it again. Check out Mike Behrman (Senior VP of Finance - Bobcats) - CFA http://www.nba.com/media/bobcats/MG0506_Pg11_32.pdf (page 21)

Celts looked very good last night and it was a good reality check for the Magic. Altho the Orlando lost home court advantage I don’t think it’s gonna be easy for Celtics to finish it up in 5 games. Lakers v Los Suns: Lakers in 5 or sweep. The difference between 08 and today is the Lakers has Ron Ron in the starting lineup. He has the ability to shut any offensive player down in the league and he has the persona to stand up against the Irish. Of course nobody can stop Paul “The Wheelchair” Pierce to pull another trick from the hat and distract the Lakers. Bynum is not healthy and looks like he won’t be until the Finals, Lakers Celts gonna be 6-7 games series and Lakers will win the championship.

bubbachuck Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nice to see people in the AF who like the NBA. > I’ve been watching the playoff games with my > Schweser book on the side of my bed. Never opened > it. I wanted Lebron to win it all, but now I > prefer the Magic to win it. But Kobe’s probably > going to it again. > > Check out Mike Behrman (Senior VP of Finance - > Bobcats) - CFA > http://www.nba.com/media/bobcats/MG0506_Pg11_32.pd > f (page 21) CFA+MBA+Princeton = ball with Mike Jordan.

I’d really like to see the Suns make it to the finals, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Ex-NBAers who runs into money trouble are either - uneducated and hang with the wrong crowd, or - it’s human nature to screw up when it comes to money and nothing to do with being in the NBA. Look how many lottery winners become worse off after the initial excitement.

Level 2 guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ex-NBAers who runs into money trouble are either > - uneducated and hang with the wrong crowd, or > - it’s human nature to screw up when it comes to > money and nothing to do with being in the NBA. > Look how many lottery winners become worse off > after the initial excitement. Too true. It doesn’t matter what your personal income statement looks like if you have no clue how to manage your personal balance sheet [invest in depreciating assets or mis-manage the savings you do have]. There was a sobering study a few years back on lottery winners, and how their wealth over time looks. I think it was something like 5-10 years out, many of them were not significantly better off than initially. I really wish we’d include basic personal finance courses in high school. I know it wouldn’t be a panacea, but I can’t help but feel that it’d be an improvement over a nation full of people who struggle with the concept of compound interest.

Add Scottie Pippen to the list. Is Jordan next? Lots of broke ex-NBAers making the news these days. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Scottie-Pippen-is-a-little-less-broke-these-days?urn=nba,252310

Level 2 guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Add Scottie Pippen to the list. Is Jordan next? > Lots of broke ex-NBAers making the news these > days. > > http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/pos > t/Scottie-Pippen-is-a-little-less-broke-these-days > ?urn=nba,252310 Ha - I read this. Bad purchase Scottie.

Lebron, Bosh, Wade. I live in Miami 10 blocks from the AAA. Yeah, I JIMPED this morning…

^That would be crazy! I’m pretty excited to see what ends up happening, but in the end I doubt any of these teams will end up signing two of the top FA’s. Remember when T-mac and Grant Hill both signed with Orlando?..

My goodness. Today is the the LeBron announcement on a 1-hour long ESPN special. Continuing the theme of this thread – with all the smart-ass sharks surrounding him, I say he will be broke within 5 years of his retirement. Doesn’t matter if his total career earning goes to $2B. Just look at Mike Tyson circa 1988, he was making tonnes back then.

Level 2 guy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My goodness. Today is the the LeBron announcement > on a 1-hour long ESPN special. > > Continuing the theme of this thread – with all > the smart-ass sharks surrounding him, I say he > will be broke within 5 years of his retirement. > Doesn’t matter if his total career earning goes to > $2B. Just look at Mike Tyson circa 1988, he was > making tonnes back then. He is a pretty business savvy guy, I think he and 50 Cent are in a JV with vitamin water if I remember correctly.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Level 2 guy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > My goodness. Today is the the LeBron > announcement > > on a 1-hour long ESPN special. > > > > Continuing the theme of this thread – with all > > the smart-ass sharks surrounding him, I say he > > will be broke within 5 years of his retirement. > > Doesn’t matter if his total career earning goes > to > > $2B. Just look at Mike Tyson circa 1988, he was > > making tonnes back then. > > > He is a pretty business savvy guy, I think he and > 50 Cent are in a JV with vitamin water if I > remember correctly. ^ that’s why the market is pricing in him going to ny/nj. not just for market exposure, but also to do business w/ jayz

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-08/madison-square-garden-shares-fall-before-lebron-james-free-agent-decision.html MSG (not the Chinese kind) says he’s headed to the Heat.

After listening to what LeBron said yesterday, I take back the statement that he will be broke 5 years after retirement. He sounds pretty sharp, smarter than Mike "I want to eat the heart of your children’ Tyson.

Shaq to the Celts! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-04/shaquille-o-neal-signs-two-year-deal-with-nba-s-boston-celtics-espn-says.html I’m kind of excited for next year. Think the Heat will punk the celts, but that and a lakers series will be great. Hope the bulls compete too.