CFA opportunities Vs MBA

Hi, Let me introduce myself. I am a CFA level 1 candidate and writing my exam in June '08. I am also a prospective MBA applicant for fall-2009. While researching for the kind of positions a CFA charter holder can get, I noticed that a some i-banks hire CFAs. Though I personally do not know anyone who has broken into an i-bank w/o an MBA. Hence my posting on this forum. :slight_smile: So, my questions is, what are the kind of jobs one can get after doing CFA charter? It would be great if you could share your first-hand job experience, and how hard/easy a CFA charter made it for you in your job hunt. Second question is - Is CFA charter a substitute for an MBA degree? Is there anyone on this forum who relinquished an MBA offer because she / he got the right job after finishing CFA charter. Thanks a lot for your time, and good luck for your June 2008 exam. Cheers, CFA level1 candidate

vipin you are about to be chewed up alive by the beasts that reside hither your only hope of escape is to apologize for not using the sacred ‘search’ button, and after using it, to ask a redemptory, acceptable intelligent question in stead.

> So, my questions is, what are the kind of jobs one > can get after doing CFA charter? Try searching job boards for “CFA” and see what appears, those type of jobs. > Second question is - Is CFA charter a substitute > for an MBA degree? No, they are not substitutes. And like rohufish said, use the search function on AnalystForum.

It’s been 1 month already?

Both of them are different beasts. First deceide what you want to do. If research then go for CFA but I-bank then top 5 business school. I dont understand why people always think that finance = MBA/CFA

WillyR?

vipin7um – amazing post…seriously

“A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds.” -Francis Bacon

The CFA is a relatively cheap self study program. A good MBA will do a good job of filtering out the lower classes and allow those with a pedigree background to spend two years socializing.

I would go for top 5 MBA program than CFA

I don’t understand, if CFA is more difficult than MBA, why top MBA vs CFA? Anybody hiring top 5 MBAs can comment?

Dalitbrahmincfa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The CFA is a relatively cheap self study program. > A good MBA will do a good job of filtering out the > lower classes and allow those with a pedigree > background to spend two years socializing. dalitbrahmincfa, for someone with a cosmopolitan, cross-caste name such as yours, that was a pretty class-conscious way of looking at things. who are these ‘lower classes’ that lack ‘pedigree’ that usually get filtered out by top MBAs?

It is pretty clear that you did not understand the comment. Spend a little time thinking about it.

a toughie. ooh, i like those. good for the teeth.

You sir are very clever…Dalit can learn much from you.

rohufish, your writing style is eerily familiar…have you graced us in the past?

hmm…no i am a new immigrant in these parts actually.

It really depends on what you do. I am an MBA student and I have talked to a lot of recruiters in Toronto. From what I have heard, a CFA is useful if you are planning to do investment related work such as Equity Research or Portfolio Mgmt. An MBA here will help, but a CFA is what most employers look for. If you are planning to be in i-banking or VC/PE, then go for an MBA instead. A lot of i-banks and private funds operate like an old-boys club. Your alumni connections is often your ticket into the club. CFA isn’t useful here if at all. Of course it all depends on the work culture.

Ohh yeah, Of course, you can have BOTH. Problem solved :stuck_out_tongue:

i repeat - bad company could be a good stock, albiet with integration risks. but HP has swallowed a whole pigeon before, and managed to digest it. see this by the way, to put things in perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO5ifLzLYiU