CFA or MBA for INDIANS

@ isildurrr dude if u want to settle for the second best its your choice. Entirely ur choice… :slight_smile:

lol…not the question of settling as much as not being able to compete against IIT’ian machines

i agree…

harami. = indian word for bastard.

This guy adds so much value to this forum across threads… the owners/mods of AF should be really grateful to him

yeah right…

yeah right…

Hi

I am planning to go for CFA level 1 exam on june13. But have not started anything other than ethics part. Will this be an intelligent choice to sit for coming exam or should i go for december one (Keeping in mind, am from non commerse background and a full time working professional)?

You preparing yourself ?..

I think you can appear in June also, if you are are able to devote 4-5 hrs a day with concentration , then you can crack it.

Keep fighting and let the dogs bark. Thats all u can do

For what it’s worth, I get maybe a dozen cvs a week from Indian guys pursuing the cfa charter, some even have it completed, and I never hire these guys. They are usually It, or math nerds, with zero social skills. In fact, I’d much rather see that you know how to dress, talk, and generally not creep out clients than if you know how to calculate WACC.

Indian MBAs are almost worse (with those one or two schools already mentioned as exceptions). If the candidate has an Indian Mba it tells me that they have no desire to work hard, but just rather want to become instant managers and delegate. That’s my job. I’m not hiring a 22 year old Indian Mba to boss people around! I’m hiring them to work. I still laugh when’s ever I see a 22 year old with a management degree.

You have valid points TRH…

I think this obsession with MBA immediately after graduation has many many reasons (some serious, some laughable, some very very subtle which many dont understand):

1. People dont get decent jobs, you have no other go but to go for higher education. Its not because they are not good, but because the market has only so much to offer.

2. Post graduates are easier to marry off for their parents. This probably many of you guys would not understand (but TRH I am sure you would understand this). Ours is a complex society and marriage is still mostly decided by the parents and not by the ones who marry :slight_smile: Laughable for you, right? But well thats how this society has survived (I was married off that way as well :))

3. Once you marry, your chance of doing an MBA is almost NIL. Example: MYSELF. You get into loans, mortgages and what not… You have no chance to look back.

4. Status symbol and closely related to #2.

Well I have right to talk about myself here and let me explain my scenario… I am not super brilliant chap, so took me around 10 years of work to understand why I needed an MBA or even what is that I should learn from an MBA!! By that time I was 32 and had mortages to manage, family to maintain… And I have a well paid IT job in an MNC Bank too, plus wife working on her PhD… So no I cant resign and go and do an MBA now…

Easiest decision for me was to satisfy my quest for knowledge and decided to take up CFA. I wanted something which will make me work hard and study. Thats just to get over the boredom of routine life and giving myself the pressures/pleasures of student life. Thoroughly enjoyed my journey so far and have no cribbs. And I expect ZERO returns from this course. I dont need any too, but I am respected anywhere I go and speak now :slight_smile: My clients recognise me that this guy can do analysis and respect me. Thats all I needed :slight_smile:

Each one have a reason to study this course.

Personally I dont know if CFA is better or MBA is better, but doing something is better than doing neither of these courses :slight_smile:

^ always good to “know thyself.” We’ll said, sooraj.