CFA Payoff Elusive for Legions Crowding Into Its Grueling Exams

I bet that percentage is around 95%+.

Good decision bro. If you don’t have experience in investment management or top mba you are done…

I’m going for CPA…

You make half a million. Don’t you?

I did find that when I studied for CFA or had other time consuming things going on, I have a better work management attitude and “spirit of learning”. Now I’m sort of in lazy/internet shopping mode.

70k salary difference seems a bit large for just having CFA. Most likely, it reflects that high talent people are already are paid more, and the exams are easy for them to pass.

That’s 100% true.

Computer Science probably offers a rosier future than either Finance or Law.

A lot of people don’t know that progamming jobs sucks if you are not working for Google or something like that.

You get stuck with one technology or maybe a product for long time. Innovation is something which is good for people to talk about in boardroom but at the end of the day these tech guys have to suck it up and do the job. And in tech jobs you usually get higher salary but it doesn’t increase that high over the period.

Note: not applicable for coder (top 0.05%).

I assign massive value to my personal zoning out time.

^At least from what I am seeing tech jobs are not by any chances limited to programming.While many tech jobs require programming knowledge and know how ,the diversity in tech in beyond belief.I understand your negative experience with programming but keep in mind that at least from what I know programming in tech is kind of like what accounting is in the financial services industry.

Biotech(Vert Large field),Different branches of AI(again very large and different applications) ,Data Science( about 80% of the data in the world have been generated in the past two years if I am not mistaking) and many other branches of tech are on the rise these days. Saying tech is programming is very inaccurate IMO.

Not true. Any coding job is challenging and interesting. Yes you can copy paste code all day but even primitive languages offer limitless posibilities for improvement and good design.

Worst part about software developer is that you have to learn every day until the end of your career.

That is also the best part

I have coded in C#, Java, ASP.NET, Javascript…4 years

everyday learning is a cool part of job where you get time to do that…

in most of the corporate environment…engineers don’t get to make any decision…

Deadlines are the worst part of software engineer’s life…kills creativity…

I don’t know about this CS thing. Most people, even at big companies, will top off at around $200k. This is just anecdotal, but I was offered a position once which paid more than what that company would have paid to hire software engineers from nearby engineering companies - the difference was that I had derivatives experience, even if my programming skills were presumably far inferior. Maybe it is worth mentioning also that my compensation at the time was what I would consider “market rate” for my function and was already materially above the offer.

If you’re the top percentile at Google or such, of course you will do quite well. However, even at such companies, people are mostly paid high, but not outrageous salaries. These people are driven not just by income, but by lifestyle and the potential to do interesting work. If you can be the top 10% at Google, I guarantee that you could have made even more money by being a finance muppet.

You could of course say that there is a “floor” to CS compensation. That is, the 30th percentile of CS people probably does better than the 30th percentile of finance people. However, you have to be smarter to be the 30th percentile in CS compared to finance.

Let’s not forget that a day of coding is preferable to sex for some folks.

the difference was that I had derivatives experience, even if my programming skills were presumably far inferior.

been saying this for a year

CFA really helped out my career, but as anything, results may vary. Probably the best $5k or so I ever spent.

You’ve been saying that I have inferior programming skills for a year? What the hell man, I thought we were friends.

nah man. i was saying a person in finance that has programming skills is a very desired.

to be fair your skills are below avg, you cant even copy paste links into AF properly.

dont blame your hacksaw browser