CFA Readings or Schweser materials

I’ve used both for both L1 and L2. I passed both of those on the first try, so I’m going with the same plan for L3. Overkill? Maybe, but it is certainly worth a little extra studying not having to re-take.

UAE CFA, For the 2006 L3 exam, I used the 2006 Schweser and a set of 2005 Stalla. I signed up for the analyst’s course in SF starting in January. I didn’t think that I would get that much out of it (and I didn’t) yet due to its expense ($900) and that it met once a week, it provided the discipline and schedule that I needed to pass this sucker. Each class was geared to a study session. Since I paid for this sucker with blood money, I vowed to get everything I could from it. I vowed to read the Schweser guide on the session prior to the class. Then I would read the actual CFAI texts and then do the end of chapter problems prior to the class. I then sat like a poindexter in front of the class to get the maximum benefit from the class. If a company had paid for my class, I don’t know if I would have put as much effort into it. Plus, the SASF class had a 94% pass rate for all the people who attended every class the previous year. In 2005, the pass rate was 56%. It was my second go around and I did not want to be complacent. I have seen it happen so many times were people who failed do not shake up their study habits the following year and fail again. People who fail the California bar the first time have a lower passing rate when taking the test the second time around. I decided to purchase the old Stalla because many people were raving about it in 2005. Schweser and Stalla just view things differently. Although I prefer Schweser, the Stalla study sessions sometimes were laid out better. Make sure you have the current notes for the provider you prefer. Then I would go out and purchase the 2007 notes from the other provider. I paid around $100 for them. Of course, 25% of the old guides are worthless, yet the bulk of the curriculum remains the same.

Jackson, Thanks for getting back to me. I will be getting both providers because I agree with what you said, they view things differently. But should I go with both providers OR one provider and CFAI.

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Jackson, > > Thanks for getting back to me. I will be getting > both providers because I agree with what you said, > they view things differently. But should I go > with both providers OR one provider and CFAI. What Schweser materials do you use? Both notess and mock exams?

danlan, I’ve used notes and qbank in the past.

UAE CFA, I would suggest go with one provider you prefer and the CFAI curriculum for further reference. Material from two providers and the curriculum stuff may be too much. I would suggest learn the provider stuff well and use the CFAI end questions and topics for extra reference. Qbank will be also helpful. By the by are you working in the UAE. I was trying to find a placement there. I am currently living in Toronto. Can you give me some tips. My email address is rgeorgehere@gmail.com. I would highly appreciate some valuable tips from you.

Does any body want to sell their CFAI readings? Email me: ggoffunds @ yahoo.com

Why would somebody want to do that?

ok so the consensus here sounds like it is best to use both. My question is how do you do that? 1. Read a SS in CFAI, then re-read the same SS in Schweser (or vise versa) before moving on 2. Read all SS in Schweser one time because it is quicker and covers the main topics, then read CFAI because it will be closer to the exam (time wise) so you will have a better chance remembering the “minutiae” 3. Read all SS in CFAI and then re-read all using Schweser 4. Real all in Schweser and only use CFAI as a reference for more complicated topics and practice questions as you go on. I am leaning towards #4 because my fear is that I won’t have enough time to do both (i.e. #2). Comments appreciated.

I think I’ll go with option 4 as well. This is the first time I get to see the actual CFAI readings (never bought them for L1 and L2) and I am having a hard time relating the material to the LOS statements. Scheweser have done that already, there is no point in reinventing the wheel.

Even Option 4 makes sense to me in a practical way. It is easy to choose to study both CFA material and Schweser but I looking at the practicality of it… I am trying to read the CFA material and I am having tough time concentrating… Remember you have one week per study session and with job and family how are you going to read both!!! Any practical advice from CFA level 3 passers as to how the EXECUTED a strategy would be greatly helpful!

Why does everybody say “I’ll use Schweser and go over CFAI for the parts I don’t understand”? Wouldn’t it be smarter to say “I’ll use Schweser and go over CFAI for the part I DO understand”…going over the text would be alot faster on material you are comfortable with and expanding the knowledge base!