CFA should do the right thing and make L3 all MC

To Joey: It is not the idea that human grading is offensive, it is the process that is not so transparent, and prone to human errors and biases. Also, one is not trying to suggest that most graders are biased, it is that someone out there may become biased based upon his/her personal beliefs about individuals from certain backgrounds. Also, the names are there on the answer sheets (morning session of L3), as I wrote to CFAI about it already. They say they will look into some of the concerns, but it may not be possible to revise the entire process as they believed it was already watertight. (“Overconfidence” I say!)

UAECFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I work with educated and qualified people from > around the world. They refer to MCQ’s as the > “American system” and consider it a joke. with all due respect, I think MCQ’s can be the toughest exams

with all due respect for someone who have sat professional exams both ways - MCQs are a lot easier - at least you come down to two options and make an educated guess. Writing fresh with no answers to prompt you and being concise and to the point requires you actually need to know and understand the concept. I will be very disappointed if the Institute went MCQs all the way. Very disappointed. hence the person who started this chain knows it is easier for him/her via the MCQ route.

eastwest Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > To Joey: > > It is not the idea that human grading is > offensive, it is the process that is not so > transparent, and prone to human errors and biases. The trasnparency thing I agree with - CFAI should advertise this process. BTW - if you looked at the exams I have graded they have little red-penned comments on them that nobody will ever see - including totallt gratutous comments like “Nice argument!”. Old habits die hard. > Also, one is not trying to suggest that most > graders are biased, it is that someone out there > may become biased based upon his/her personal > beliefs about individuals from certain > backgrounds. Also, the names are there on the > answer sheets (morning session of L3), as I wrote > to CFAI about it already. They say they will look > into some of the concerns, but it may not be > possible to revise the entire process as they > believed it was already watertight. > (“Overconfidence” I say!)

It’s just as transparant as the MCQ… I still don’t know these answers. All I get is a vague overview with scores between 50/70% and that’s it. THat’s not transparant but you go with the flow. If you know it, it doesn’t matter if it’s essay or MCQ.

Well there is nothing opaque about the grading process on MC. They just throw them in a scantron machine a couple of times. The essay section is graded with a massive process of checks and balances that is very impressive except nobody sees it. CFAI should have the cameras rolling, interviewing graders, etc…

Ok the process of grading / graders are perfect!. Discussion closed.