CFA vs MBA advice

I don’t know if I buy the whole top 10 thing. You learn huge amounts form an MBA. While you don’t want to go to a crap school, I don’t know that top 10 is as important as “top tier” There are lots of schools in the top 20 (like mine, Indiana) that have highly decorated alumni and very successful track records. You may be at a disadvantage against the people in the very tip top schools like Wharton or Harvard, but a good school is a good school. I say go for it, but not necessarily exclusive of the CFA. i think both is the way to go, but of course I would say that since that is my approach Rolo

DO BOTH! I am married with 3 kids, and I started to work on my MBA this year. My strat with the CFA is lvl1 this year, lvl2 in 2010, lvl3 in 2011. It´s heavy stuff, but 5 years from now I will look back with a big smile and I´ll be glad that I went through all the pain at once. Anyways, Good Luck

rolo, what year did you graduate, hoosier?

If you were planning on doing both the CFA and MBA, do you think it would be better to do them at the same time, or would it be better if you became a full-fledged charterholder before starting your MBA program? Would it make a big difference in the application or recruiting processes? Also, in an interview, which would be a better answer to the “where do you see yourself in 5 years” question (considering I’m about to start my senior year of college): just finishing up an MBA program after the standard 2 yrs work experience; or just preparing to enter an MBA program, CFA charter in hand (since by then, someone graduating this year would have reached the minimum 4 yrs work ex. for the charter)? Thanks!

MBA and CFA program have a lot of overlap – better to do it at same time

I have an MBA and am sitting for Level III next June. I agree that the MBA is really only worth something if you come from a top notch school. Not because of a lack of learning and knowledge but because of the lack of prestige and recruitment from the second tier schools. I would continue to pursue the CFA because it will make you more marketable down the road. . . just because your current employer says it doesn’t fit thier model anymore doesn’t mean others would find a charterholder an attractive candidate.

Not graduated yet Daj, just starting my second year. I hope I didn’t appear to misrepresent myself.