CFA vs. PGA

FastEd, don’t let one 9 hole round get to you. I’ve had larger swings than that from the front 9 to the back 9. I had an 11 stroke swing front to back (fortunately for the positive) just a few weeks ago.

The best thing I learned over the weekend was how to forget about a terrible round of golf.

It has been much easier to forget about a bad round ever since I joined this club because I know I will be up there again sooner rather than later When I was younger, I used to play once a week, if I was lucky, and in front of co-workers / friends, and I there would be tons of “build up” to those times out that if I played poorly it would really bother me. Now that I am a bit older and play more often (even if it is 9 or 12 holes at a time) there isn’t as much so internally imposed pressure and bad outings don’t bother me as much. May sound stupid but it’s true. I tend to have much more fun when I am playing well than poorly…anyone tells you they are having fun no matter what is likely lying!

pingdanny Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I tend to have much more fun when I am playing > well than poorly…anyone tells you they are > having fun no matter what is likely lying! You and me both. Played in a corporate thing last Tuesday and unwillingly jumped on the 6 train at the 5th hole and didn’t get off until the 8th hole. I would have gladly gone back to the office at the turn if I could have. The old saying “a bad day on the course is better than a good day at the office” is a load of crap.

word…at least you are earning money at work

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > pingdanny Wrote: > > You and me both. Played in a corporate thing last > Tuesday and unwillingly jumped on the 6 train at > the 5th hole and didn’t get off until the 8th > hole. I would have gladly gone back to the office > at the turn if I could have. The old saying “a > bad day on the course is better than a good day at > the office” is a load. Yeah, when I was topping the ball off the tee I was thinking, why did I waste my money and time doing this today. I would have gladly finished an asset allocation analysis or some other work related item than chunk away at the Par 5.

you won’t be thinking that way in February :slight_smile:

I had 3 under for nine holes last night, 3 birdies, 6 pars, missed one green in reg and one fairway. I was skipping to the parking lot and was in a great mood all evening and can’t wait to get out again! August 1…I officially start to stress about the exam result

Going out today for a little 9-hole course. This game is addicting. And I have been trying really hard to not stress about exam results so far. Staying away from here for the most part has helped. I also hope my weekend in Vegas right before the exam will keep my stress level regarding results really low.

yeah I fell into the whole “disappearing link” BS last year and I won’t be doing that again. I will probably sign off for good soon seeing that if I fail I will most likely take a year off from it, and possibly not take it again. Tired of this crap three and a half years is enough. hoping to squeak by this year!

Okay - here’s the update and I’m curious what you golf pros think. 1) I’m now getting worse as my playing lessons have gone along. Infact, I almost dread hitting the golf ball because I feel so lost when I stand over it. I probably should have expected this. 2) The most bizarre thing is that I hit my 7 iron almost as far as my 5 iron. Carry is about 150 for 7 and 155 for 5. I do not lean the club forward at all to decrease my loft. I place the ball in about the same place for hitting both clubs.

1. it is not uncommon especially after major changes to suffer from “paralysis by analysis”. I find that on the course, one or maybe two swing thoughts as you are about to take it away are all you want. Save the multiple swing thoughts for the range. The challenge (never ending) is to find some that work for you and instill confidence. Problem is the confidence comes most often when you are playing well (the whole chicken and egg thing). Some of my favorite thoughts are simple, like “arms close, level turn”, “knuckles down at impact”, “hit into firm left side”…stuff like that 2) hard to say without seeing your swing, but the 155 with a 7 sounds “normal” vs the 5 iron (I hit a 7 about 165). You are probably swinging poorly and / not making solid contact with the 5 because the lack of loft in the club may be causing you to make compensations to try to “lift” the ball in the air. This is my guess. Long irons are hard to hit (hence the whole hybrid market). Remember, hit down to make the ball go up…let the loft and backspin get ball in the air (don’t scoop it). With the longer clubs you want to swing more around your body, vs. the more up and down motion you can get away with with the shorter irons