CFP

Re: CFP Posted by: Captain Windjammer (IP Logged) Date: December 3, 2010 02:43PM > If you have to take an exams or exams to achieve > the designation, then the caliber and preparation > of the pool of people that achieve it will be > determined by the exams, not by the means people > use to prepare for it. For example, Schweser and > Stalla are not Ivy League universities (or even > universities at all, obviously), but that hasn’t > seemed to hurt the reputation of the CFA charter. Man, you are making an improper comparison. The reason it doesn’t hurt the reputation of the CFA charter is because the candidates need to sit in the exam room and pass it. The exam isn’t issued by Schweser or Stalla. It will definitely hurt the reputation if the exam is conducted by Schweser or Stalla. In Ivy League universities, all the exams are conducted by the universities themselves.

The.Unit.Root Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Assuming you pass level II and III on first tries, > you can sit for the CFP on a challenge basis by > Nov, 2012. Depending on how quickly you take the > classes, you could be looking at taking it about > the same time without having to take the > classes… Are they changing the challenge rule after Nov. 2012?

MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Captain Windjammer Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Is the CFP designation actually awarded by the > > universities in Canada? If not then I’m not > sure > > the reputation of the universities offering > > education programs will make much difference. > > > no universities do not award the designation but > its means the Canadian CFP candidate pool becomes > dominated by non-university goers. and > non-university goers generally have lower IQs than > university goers. > > do you really want a high school graduate who took > a few courses at a college to be a holder of the > CFP designation? do you even want a college > graduate who took a few courses at college to be a > holder of the CFP designation? do you want high > school and college graduates to be the ONLY new > CFP members say five years from now? how would > this reflect on the reputation of the CFP > designation? and because it is only one day of > exams (though i think they’re changing it to two > days of less difficult exams), the odds of very > unintelligent people squeaking through the exam > are much higher than the CA and CFA designations > (both of which require a university degree anyway, > so as to keep people of ‘unproven intelligence’ > out). Although I don’t post much here, I have trouble with this part: “goers generally have lower IQs” - first off, before you make a comment like that, I hope you have some statistical/empirical proof to back it up … and I seriously hope you meant people who have not attended a post-secondary institution rather than people who go to college … not everyone who goes to college has a low IQ … since you have no statistical proof, I would have to assume that comment has been made by someone with a low IQ as well … just to clear up why I am getting just a little angry … It’s because I go to a college as well … .and trust me when I say there are some smart people there … along with stupid people … would fall within a normal distribution … just like any university … just my 2 cents … Oh P.s. I am in my final year in a college in Canada … Just wrote the cfa level 1 on dec 4th (they require a post-graduate degree … not a “university” degree) … am eligible and thinking about going for a CA designation at some point in time … and I have to say that some of the b.s. that I saw on my finals would not have been solved by a lot of university students …

hiyujie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Re: CFP > Posted by: Captain Windjammer (IP Logged) > Date: December 3, 2010 02:43PM > > > > If you have to take an exams or exams to achieve > > > the designation, then the caliber and > preparation > > of the pool of people that achieve it will be > > determined by the exams, not by the means people > > > use to prepare for it. For example, Schweser and > > > Stalla are not Ivy League universities (or even > > > universities at all, obviously), but that hasn’t > > > seemed to hurt the reputation of the CFA > charter. > > > > Man, you are making an improper comparison. The > reason it doesn’t hurt the reputation of the CFA > charter is because the candidates need to sit in > the exam room and pass it. The exam isn’t issued > by Schweser or Stalla. It will definitely hurt the > reputation if the exam is conducted by Schweser or > Stalla. In Ivy League universities, all the exams > are conducted by the universities themselves. You misunderstood him. He has a perfectly valid point. In fact, he pointed out what you just said. Read it again. :slight_smile:

mo_khan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Captain Windjammer Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Is the CFP designation actually awarded by > the > > > universities in Canada? If not then I’m not > > sure > > > the reputation of the universities offering > > > education programs will make much difference. > > > > > > no universities do not award the designation > but > > its means the Canadian CFP candidate pool > becomes > > dominated by non-university goers. and > > non-university goers generally have lower IQs > than > > university goers. > > > > do you really want a high school graduate who > took > > a few courses at a college to be a holder of > the > > CFP designation? do you even want a college > > graduate who took a few courses at college to be > a > > holder of the CFP designation? do you want high > > school and college graduates to be the ONLY new > > CFP members say five years from now? how would > > this reflect on the reputation of the CFP > > designation? and because it is only one day of > > exams (though i think they’re changing it to > two > > days of less difficult exams), the odds of very > > unintelligent people squeaking through the exam > > are much higher than the CA and CFA > designations > > (both of which require a university degree > anyway, > > so as to keep people of ‘unproven intelligence’ > > out). > > > Although I don’t post much here, I have trouble > with this part: “goers generally have lower IQs” - > first off, before you make a comment like that, I > hope you have some statistical/empirical proof to > back it up … and I seriously hope you meant > people who have not attended a post-secondary > institution rather than people who go to college > … not everyone who goes to college has a low IQ > … since you have no statistical proof, I would > have to assume that comment has been made by > someone with a low IQ as well … just to clear > up why I am getting just a little angry … It’s > because I go to a college as well … .and trust > me when I say there are some smart people there > … along with stupid people … would fall > within a normal distribution … just like any > university … just my 2 cents … > Oh P.s. I am in my final year in a college in > Canada … Just wrote the cfa level 1 on dec 4th > (they require a post-graduate degree … not a > “university” degree) … am eligible and thinking > about going for a CA designation at some point in > time … and I have to say that some of the b.s. > that I saw on my finals would not have been solved > by a lot of university students … What are you getting so bent out of shape for? What’s the difference between “college” and “university” in this context ?

mo_khan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Captain Windjammer Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Is the CFP designation actually awarded by > the > > > universities in Canada? If not then I’m not > > sure > > > the reputation of the universities offering > > > education programs will make much difference. > > > > > > no universities do not award the designation > but > > its means the Canadian CFP candidate pool > becomes > > dominated by non-university goers. and > > non-university goers generally have lower IQs > than > > university goers. > > > > do you really want a high school graduate who > took > > a few courses at a college to be a holder of > the > > CFP designation? do you even want a college > > graduate who took a few courses at college to be > a > > holder of the CFP designation? do you want high > > school and college graduates to be the ONLY new > > CFP members say five years from now? how would > > this reflect on the reputation of the CFP > > designation? and because it is only one day of > > exams (though i think they’re changing it to > two > > days of less difficult exams), the odds of very > > unintelligent people squeaking through the exam > > are much higher than the CA and CFA > designations > > (both of which require a university degree > anyway, > > so as to keep people of ‘unproven intelligence’ > > out). > > > Although I don’t post much here, I have trouble > with this part: “goers generally have lower IQs” - > first off, before you make a comment like that, I > hope you have some statistical/empirical proof to > back it up … and I seriously hope you meant > people who have not attended a post-secondary > institution rather than people who go to college > … not everyone who goes to college has a low IQ > … since you have no statistical proof, I would > have to assume that comment has been made by > someone with a low IQ as well … just to clear > up why I am getting just a little angry … It’s > because I go to a college as well … .and trust > me when I say there are some smart people there > … along with stupid people … would fall > within a normal distribution … just like any > university … just my 2 cents … > Oh P.s. I am in my final year in a college in > Canada … Just wrote the cfa level 1 on dec 4th > (they require a post-graduate degree … not a > “university” degree) … am eligible and thinking > about going for a CA designation at some point in > time … and I have to say that some of the b.s. > that I saw on my finals would not have been solved > by a lot of university students … What are you getting so bent out of shape for? What’s the difference between “college” and “university” in this context ?

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The.Unit.Root Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Assuming you pass level II and III on first > tries, > > you can sit for the CFP on a challenge basis by > > Nov, 2012. Depending on how quickly you take > the > > classes, you could be looking at taking it > about > > the same time without having to take the > > classes… > > Are they changing the challenge rule after Nov. > 2012? You’ll have to take the one financial plan development course, but you still get out of the 6 other courses.

dmiller385 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo_khan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > MattLikesAnalysis Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Captain Windjammer Wrote: > > > > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > ----- > > > > Is the CFP designation actually awarded by > > the > > > > universities in Canada? If not then I’m > not > > > sure > > > > the reputation of the universities offering > > > > education programs will make much > difference. > > > > > > > > > no universities do not award the designation > > but > > > its means the Canadian CFP candidate pool > > becomes > > > dominated by non-university goers. and > > > non-university goers generally have lower IQs > > than > > > university goers. > > > > > > do you really want a high school graduate who > > took > > > a few courses at a college to be a holder of > > the > > > CFP designation? do you even want a college > > > graduate who took a few courses at college to > be > > a > > > holder of the CFP designation? do you want > high > > > school and college graduates to be the ONLY > new > > > CFP members say five years from now? how > would > > > this reflect on the reputation of the CFP > > > designation? and because it is only one day > of > > > exams (though i think they’re changing it to > > two > > > days of less difficult exams), the odds of > very > > > unintelligent people squeaking through the > exam > > > are much higher than the CA and CFA > > designations > > > (both of which require a university degree > > anyway, > > > so as to keep people of ‘unproven > intelligence’ > > > out). > > > > > > Although I don’t post much here, I have trouble > > with this part: “goers generally have lower IQs” > - > > first off, before you make a comment like that, > I > > hope you have some statistical/empirical proof > to > > back it up … and I seriously hope you meant > > people who have not attended a post-secondary > > institution rather than people who go to > college > > … not everyone who goes to college has a low > IQ > > … since you have no statistical proof, I > would > > have to assume that comment has been made by > > someone with a low IQ as well … just to > clear > > up why I am getting just a little angry … > It’s > > because I go to a college as well … .and > trust > > me when I say there are some smart people there > > … along with stupid people … would fall > > within a normal distribution … just like any > > university … just my 2 cents … > > Oh P.s. I am in my final year in a college in > > Canada … Just wrote the cfa level 1 on dec > 4th > > (they require a post-graduate degree … not a > > “university” degree) … am eligible and > thinking > > about going for a CA designation at some point > in > > time … and I have to say that some of the > b.s. > > that I saw on my finals would not have been > solved > > by a lot of university students … > > > What are you getting so bent out of shape for? > What’s the difference between “college” and > “university” in this context ? In Canada, colleges are sometimes looked down-upon, I guess they’re what you refer to as junior colleges in the states? In response to the person you quoted, I don’t know why he took such offense to Matt’s post, the fact he (Matt) can’t formulate basic (grade 5) grammar and spelling was enough to disregard all his comments.

Well … yeah you’re right … I just wanted him to show me some empirical proof since we are on a CFA forum and he seems to be pretty sure of himself … otherwise I think I would like to claim that 2012 will be the end of the world … lol …

mo_khan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Although I don’t post much here, I have trouble > with this part: “goers generally have lower IQs” - > first off, before you make a comment like that, I > hope you have some statistical/empirical proof to > back it up … and I seriously hope you meant > people who have not attended a post-secondary > institution rather than people who go to college > … not everyone who goes to college has a low IQ > … since you have no statistical proof, I would > have to assume that comment has been made by > someone with a low IQ as well … just to clear > up why I am getting just a little angry … It’s > because I go to a college as well … .and trust > me when I say there are some smart people there > … along with stupid people … would fall > within a normal distribution … just like any > university … just my 2 cents … > Oh P.s. I am in my final year in a college in > Canada … Just wrote the cfa level 1 on dec 4th > (they require a post-graduate degree … not a > “university” degree) … am eligible and thinking > about going for a CA designation at some point in > time … and I have to say that some of the b.s. > that I saw on my finals would not have been solved > by a lot of university students … do you understand what the word ‘generally’ means? it doesn’t mean that EVERY SINGLE college student has a lower IQ, but it does mean in the aggregate, they have a lower IQ. do you know what an IQ test involves and what it measures? it essentially measures abilities which are highly correlated with one’s success in elementary, secondary, and post-secondary school. if you can’t do math, you have a low IQ because IQ almost only quantifies one’s mathematical ability. if you can’t do math, you’ll have a weak math grade in high school. if you have a weak math grade in high school, you’ll either a) go to college, or b) start working. there is a reason why you have to take much more difficult math classes (university level math) in high school in order to qualify you for university admission. the college level classes ecompass approximately 1/2 the cirriculum of their university level counterparts. those who take the college level courses are essentially giving up. “children with higher test scores are less likely to drop out, more likely to be promoted from grade to grade and then to attend college. Thus the number of years of education that adults complete is roughly predictable from their childhood scores on intelligence tests. On the other hand schooling itself changes mental abilities, including those abilities measured on psychometric tests. This is obvious for tests like the SAT that are explicitly designed to assess school learning, but it is almost equally true of intelligence tests themselves.” http://www.michna.com/intelligence.htm it is also important to remember that IQ is not EQ, which is also a major factor in determining one’s success in schooling, work, and all things really.

and this thread sucks now…

For those who passed the CFP board exam, would 200 hrs of studies sufficient to pass the exam? I’m sitting for March 2011 (I heard they will increase the exam fee fairly soon, so I decided to do it now rather wait till later). I’m primarily be using Keir and Zahn’s test banks and flash cards only, or maybe a few case books if i could find any on ebay or craiglist. So far I found Zahn’s test bank is realtively straight forward.(just started a week ago). Taxes, insurance and estate planning are my weak areas. And I don’t think I will shell out a few Ks for online review classes since I’m playing everything out of my own pocket. Any tips, tricks, or areas that I should pay extra attention to? Do you think keep drilling a few thousand test bank problems will be sufficient to pass? Thanks guys!

200 hours should be sufficient. I’d say don’t forget to study stuff like social security and medicare, they love to test that. Focus on the test bank and sample case studies.