Chartered Market Technician (CMT)

this thread comes up at least once a year

no ACE, you are getting confused. This is TA … not T&A

nah, I mean CMT consensus usually is … buy the books if interested, designation not worth much

my murphy and pring TA books aren’t on my bookshelf right now because my friend is doing some day trading and wanted to check out the methods … i’m quite intrigued at his trading - he is mostly self taught

I know ACE… I was just making a funny :slight_smile:

I’m intrigued too. I’m always curious to hear about what works for someone else. However, my assumption about those who end up successfully day trading is that they have developed methods unique to them. Like I’ve said before, the principles of TA are simple. The effectiveness comes in the art of applications. I think there is no way around the thousands of hours of experience it takes to figure that out. (Unless someone hands you an incredible non discretionary algorithm as in the case of the “turtles”)

ohhh ok :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have started preparing for CMT, let us discuss at knr21kumar@gmail.com

^Why not discuss it here? I’d also edit your post and remove or space out your email. You’re going to get spammed by bots.

This was entertaining to read

I’m a CMT charter holder and worked with one of the guys who created founded the CMT Association, so hopefully that gives me a tiny bit of street cred.

-CFA will get you in the door and a higher salary. It also has the “wow, you actually did that” factor. The CMT was never much respected form a career standpoint besides at a handful of firms like Ned Davis, Leuthold, Elliott Wave, Dent, Lowry, and Pring.

-The CMT will only be respected as a supplement to other knowledge. I’ve seen that someone who has a CMT, unless they’re the type who is looking at biblical codes and sunspots to market time, is respected as a “quantish” type of person without being a full blown mathematician. Creating a neural network based off of momentum factors and breadth to identify stock purchases candidates would be under a CMT’s bailiwick, for example.

-Membership in the CMT Association is borderline worthless compared to the CFA Institute. Their career center has been filled with irrelevant jobs for the past five years, there are no events besides webinars which generally morph into sales pitches (and the annual symposium, which will run you several thousand dollars to attend), and cost of membership is higher than the CFA Institute.

-Finally, where the CMT and CFA fit together. There are studies everywhere which explain how fundamentals are absolutely terrible for short term market timing, and I mean periods under two years. Technical analysis seems to fill the gap here and can be a very good sell for being a tactical asset allocator.

Hopefully some of that helped. Have the flu and feeling slightly out of it. PM me if you have any questions.

I actually don’t know of anyone who said “wow” or “you got the CFA”

Maybe this is because I work in high finance in NYC where my alma mater - UC Berk - is nothing special because the room is full of MBA or MBA/JD from Stanford, U of C, CBS, Harvard, Northwestern, Stern, etc. But what comes above all these is actually not your “skills” but who you play golf with on weekends or what do you have in common with the big boys who write the checks…

you really wanna pay $325 dues for the next 20 years, just so folks know you read some book written in 1948?

a first edition is $2800, better to buy it and leave it unread…

i have tried various options and digged very had on cmt exam practice tools, they are all very expensive. the only that i found that is legit is free (not free trial fake free) is certdemy. u can have a look , theres around 800+ free Qs to test