China parade getting kind of weird

I look at a seal’s inner beauty.

So does the shark.

But communism… bad.

Thats my argument^… three words.

I mean when the south rebelled against the north, we massacred them. What would we do if California dared to leave the us?

Ask the hot ones to stay?

Hong Kong has never been independent, it was under British rule and now Chinese. HK people living under Brit rule were issued passports called BNO (brit national overseas), but when the douchey brits left, they said the BNO gives HK people NO right of abode in UK. This after extracting decades upon decades of assets and taxes from HK. Just a ridiculous betrayal!. HK’s problems today however are its own making, and not really due to China. In fact, HK’s best chance at global relevance moving forward is as a part of China. This may be hard to see for young people in HK because some corrupt Chinese business practices and the boorish behavior of mainland tourists makes them seem so foreign.

Do you follow China economics/investments at all? China has some features of communism like a centrally planned economy, but those bits of communism are mixed with a very, very hard-nosed, anything goes, unregulated form of capitalism.

Couple things… first, do you even lift? Do you think I’m an uncultured swine with less than 100k reps on that site? No. I’ve spent a decade building a reputation on there, so OBVIOUSLY I know a thing or two about lifting. Srs.

Second, I don’t want to claim to be an expert on this, because I’m not. And I thank you for the discussion. But I’ve spent a ton of time in HK. First time being in love was with some gal I met in the Stanley market during lunch when I was 15 - ya, she may have just wanted to use me for my English skills to complete her homework assignment, but it was real to me. But you’re exactly right that they’ve romanticized western culture. Why do you think restaurants like Dan Ryan’s are so popular over there? Exactly. So, the way I look at it, if there’s a country out there that literally is dying to become a more civilized democracy like the United States, then shit, we oughta help em do it.

unpopular opinion: there ain’t a corner of the world I haven’t seen. I’ve lived overseas, became a dual citizen by the time I was 18, and seen more of the world at 21 years old than most people ever dare of seeing. You know what I’ve learned? That America is the greatest damn country on the face of the planet. Our government, our freedoms, our every way of life is superior to other countries - which frankly want to become us. Not to come in here sounding off exactly like trump, but when a country like that really wants to imitate our way of life, we ought to be showing them how and supporting them.

thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Yeah, that’s a pretty rosy view of things there are a number of people who have traveled quite a bit here. It also, I think largely ignores history, crushes aside. The US is nice, but we are largely silent on and don’t teach large swaths of history where the US f’d up particularly in foreign policy, which drives this repetitious behavior and hubris. The US is great, I think you’re heavily overselling it.

Hong Kong… Forever alone

I wouldn’t say the US doesn’t teach about blemishes in our history (e.g. slavery, manifest destiny, etc…), but does sometimes heavily gloss over it. That said, a wealth of information is widely available on past US misdeeds and there are many vocal groups out there protesting it, including many within the government. Again while glossed over on an aggregate basis, there is still widely open debate. The same can not be said of many countries outside the West.

This didn’t matter much in recent history since most of these countries had little capability to have a material, long-lasting negative impact on the global order. Russia could have created a nuclear winter, but it’s smaller population and economy limited it’s potential. China on the other hand has the demographics and increasingly the capability. However, the country still is quite backwards in many ways, namely not being able to have open debate about past mistakes (cultural revolution, great leap forward, etc…). Self-reflection is key to growth. That China still severally lacks this key attribute (namely at the government level) is going to be the world’s problem to deal with.

If I was Hong Kong. I’d join China. They are winning and are closer. You’d have to be pretty stupid to not join China, assuming they’d accept you. Also Hong Kong ain’t shit anymore. Shenzhen will prolly eclipse them soon.

if i was poor and stupid id prob join pinos with similattraits

So what’s stopping you my dude!?

You may be have traveled widely, and be wise beyond your years, but this post doesn’t sound like it. Dan Ryan’s is not a popular restaurant in HK. Hong Kong people have their own distinct culture that is primarily Chinese, but also borrows from places they admire like US, Europe, Australia and Japan. It is not some romanticized view of western culture, it is fairly unique. HK people may not even want US style democracy, they just want some good government.