Choice of two positions; one IB, one Trading.

If the guy traded a 8/9 digit book. Why on earth would they ever want to work for a bank doing institutional trading? They would be so bored and sick of clients on the phone after a month.

spreads - Would you be able to elaborate a bit on why your friend left the prop desk? Presumably if he was as skilled as you make him out to be then there should be no lack of capital coming his way, no?

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If the guy traded a 8/9 digit book. Why on earth > would they ever want to work for a bank doing > institutional trading? They would be so bored and > sick of clients on the phone after a month. The account was one of the principals of the firm, a ‘difficult’ man to deal with, but he did extend a offer to mentor my friend to trade options. I don’t know why he applied to the positions he did (although it was only a couple), my first response was to think right away he could/should run his own fund. I think the position I referenced to might have been a department head (I’ll ask him next time we chat to clarify), but the fact he didn’t warrant a response was shocking.

LPoulin133 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > spreads - Would you be able to elaborate a bit on > why your friend left the prop desk? > > Presumably if he was as skilled as you make him > out to be then there should be no lack of capital > coming his way, no? The intra-day edges dried up? For months before he decided to write the GMAT he was all but not-trading (trading the automated account, not his personal account). When he stopped trading the boss’ book, he was busy with other commitments but maybe just didn’t see the benefit of trading his own account? Also (I noted above) he hasn’t applied to many jobs, “just a few”, so that leads me to believe he felt the MBA was necessary, otherwise he’d keep plugging away, right? I asked him flat-out about having the CFA and his background and he kinda shied away from it, it’s possible he has big goals in mind. Maybe i’ll shoot him a FB message and see what he’s been up to.

Well I thought I would just update my position. After researching a bit on my own, and solid advice from you all (hope it’s solid) I decided to stick to IB. Unfortunately, Morgan Joseph didn’t feel like waiting on my answer and filled the position. So now I am back to interviewing. I really hate the bus travel to NYC. Can’t beat the $20 cost though. Well at least now I know I shouldn’t be looking at trading. I guess the moral here isn’t trading or M&A. Rather, just don’t be so damn indecisive. Thanks for all of the input.

*facepalm*

sorry to hear it! Don’t despair, there is something even better out there, something you won’t even have to question when you see it. Then you will know it’s right.

MiserableLawStdnt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I thought I would just update my position. > After researching a bit on my own, and solid > advice from you all (hope it’s solid) I decided to > stick to IB. Unfortunately, Morgan Joseph didn’t > feel like waiting on my answer and filled the > position. > > So now I am back to interviewing. I really hate > the bus travel to NYC. Can’t beat the $20 cost > though. Well at least now I know I shouldn’t be > looking at trading. > > I guess the moral here isn’t trading or M&A. > Rather, just don’t be so damn indecisive. > > Thanks for all of the input. Dude.

MiserableLawStdnt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well I thought I would just update my position. > After researching a bit on my own, and solid > advice from you all (hope it’s solid) I decided to > stick to IB. Unfortunately, Morgan Joseph didn’t > feel like waiting on my answer and filled the > position. > > So now I am back to interviewing. I really hate > the bus travel to NYC. Can’t beat the $20 cost > though. Well at least now I know I shouldn’t be > looking at trading. > > I guess the moral here isn’t trading or M&A. > Rather, just don’t be so damn indecisive. > > Thanks for all of the input. WTF? You should have just accepted both offers if you wanted to a wait to think it over, and then tell the rejectee your choice.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > MiserableLawStdnt Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well I thought I would just update my position. > > After researching a bit on my own, and solid > > advice from you all (hope it’s solid) I decided > to > > stick to IB. Unfortunately, Morgan Joseph > didn’t > > feel like waiting on my answer and filled the > > position. > > > > So now I am back to interviewing. I really hate > > the bus travel to NYC. Can’t beat the $20 cost > > though. Well at least now I know I shouldn’t be > > looking at trading. > > > > I guess the moral here isn’t trading or M&A. > > Rather, just don’t be so damn indecisive. > > > > Thanks for all of the input. > > > Dude. Double dude… This is one of the biggest facepalm story I have ever read here. On the bright side, if you could get such offers they likely won’t be the last.