Choosing a title for my thesis.

darrelhk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how about a title such as short-term trading > strategies in the currency or options market? Like > I will explain on usage of technical analysis and > fundamental analysis. Again - way too big and hard to do. For one thing, coming up with short-term trading strategies that work in currency or options markets is very hard. I’ve seen hundreds and seen hundreds of millions of dollars thrown at them and there is not one I believe in.

Here’s a snappy thesis title “Why nobody can price an S&P 500 option”. Peter Carr ends discussions sometimes by sort-of shrugging and saying “well, nobody knows how to price an S&P option either”. he’s a pretty smart guy.

Whatever you choose, have the end in mind. There are many interesting topics, worthy of research, but if they’re too difficult you will not be able to pull it off in time. The worst is when you have to turn to another topic mid-term because the old one was ‘too difficult’ or data ‘too scarce’.

^ Good point. I changed my dissertation topic and advisor after a year because the topic I chose just became intractible. Very smart move in the end.