Choosing between two jobs

I am doing an undergrad in CS and Statistics at a good state school.

This is my first job in the U.S so “technically” I didn’t go back to school.

No such thing.

Saw your sack.

id go with quant. but im sure its more high pressure and logner hours

Maybe for MBA (UVA,Berkley are still good state schools with decent placement).

But for STEM/CS Schools there are so many schools where their average 1 year/recent graduate makes at least as much as your salary if not more.

Why?

cuz they change a lot of nuance shit in finance so imo you will be coding a lot and it all needs to te urgent.

Are you open to an eventual grad program?

Yup. But I’m thinking of more finance/MBA type of thing. An MFE/Master in Stat doesn’t take you that far in the quant community apparently.

You may find the quant analyst role allows you to compete more aggressively for those upper MBA programs. It seems like the quant group knows you and is willing to compete for you so you’re entering with goodwill on your side. They may have high expectations, but as a fallback you can always either bail to another role or into a grad program if things eventually don’t pan out, so you have exit options. It also might position you better if you decide to do a top tier PhD type program (if your goals change). Generally, it seems like it aligns better with your aspirations but comes with some doubts, but since you have exit options and it will look better on paper and now pays the same, it increasingly seems like maybe it makes sense to go for the quant role. In addition, you don’t seem as excited about the software developer roles so you may wind up being less engaged which is a bigger issue in my mind. They obviously know your background so I’m sure their expectations are reasonable although as Nerdy alluded to you may be prepared to see longer hours (which is honestly a good thing early in your career) so you should have realistic expectations with that. Either way, you know best, but let us know what you settle on.

I’d go with the software engineering role. Assuming you are full-stack you’ll never have a problem finding work and it tends to be very lucrative. Furthermore, you won’t be restricted to the finance industry and you’d open doors to the larger tech world. If you are indeed full stack you def demand more than 100k. If you are somewhat decent you can easily obtain an offer for higher pay.

gl.

^

I agree, if I had an MFE/Ph.D. obviously there were no discussions in which path to choose but I’m not even a gifted Math/CS student and it will be an upward battle. Also, there is little to no training in my group and people don’t have common grounds given they have very diverse backgrounds.

I know a few SWE in my company who have the CFA and work in structured finance. Maybe those groups could be a good entry point to finance after two years in the rotational program. Who knows

Finance or IT?

ahhh. IT