Clothing At Work (Continued)

In 2007, with Lions for Lambs, I think Tom Cruise reopened the chapter on the waistcoat. Any thoughts? It looks good, in my opinion, but at what age/status does wearing one become acceptable? Separately, I quite like braces, but I think I am about 5 years and $300k/year short of this being permissible attire.

All right gentlemen…take it from a lady: 1. Wifebeaters - never, never, never!! In addition, the quality of your shirt should be such that your undershirt should not be visible anyway. 2. Button down collars - It sounds like you are referring to “polo” style shirts…if this is the case, I would advise against them…at least avoid the striped ones…yucky. I always take gentlemen more seriously when they have a clean, fitted button down shirt, clean front pants (no pleats) which are tailored appropriately - they should grace the top of your shoe when you walk, without bunching too much at the bottom or rising way up over your trouser socks when you sit. Also, wearing a good belt is key. Even if it is the only designer piece in your wardrobe, if you can find a nice looking Gucci belt, it will go a long way, trust me. 3. Bowties - It’s more about how you wear it…some guys really know how to sport a great bowtie. If you feel confident in one and have the personality to match, go for it -and it’s definitely NOT an old man thing. I generally think they are more appropriate for evening events…make sure that the rest of your suit is not too flashy when you wear one. And if you’re brave enough to go without a jacket…make sure the “look” is right…i.e. your shirt is not too puffy, consider pairing with a vest, etc. 4. Wing tip shoes - these look nice, but to make the look right, you need a darker color in patent leather - my opinion. There is nothing more wrong than a navy suit and light brown wingtips.