Confessions from a CFA Addict

Along the lines of what Florida said, My two friends who started the program with me failed L2 last June. Although I passed, I really was disappointed that they did not join me to the next level. However, I will tell you what I told them, 1) I’m in my thirties and they are still in their 20’s. I can’t afford to fail while they are still young enough to fail any level more than once. In the perspective of their entire career, its a minor blip. 2) A friend of mine I grew up with has his charter. He too failed L2 and has had his chartner now for 10 years and is really successful.

kui Wrote: > Question to all > who failed, what is the best way to torture CFA? I > badly need to get back to it. I failed as well and got 68 on the 40-60-80 deal and was beyond pissed. Got the results around noon on the west coast so CFA also managed to completely ruin my work day and part of the rest of the week (how do you concentrate after spending 5 solid months on something and feeling confident you passed only to see “FAIL” - one of the worst experiences ever) One way to get back is once we conquer this beast, which we will, and the Society comes back at us to donate (over and above fees) or “give back” in some other way, laugh in their faces. Laugh hard and long. Obviously there are other things you could say but I’ll leave that up to you.

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Lacking access to eiither illegal stimulants or > JB’s prodigious supply of Adderal, that rush is > all I have going for me. > I thought you were into expensive cigars…

I also remember Sierra Nevada…

Hi AFJunkie, I guess you are a fans of Sophie Kinsella. I feel you when I was dreaming a PASS. Anyway, I’m gonna beat it this time for sure.

Khalix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi AFJunkie, > > I guess you are a fans of Sophie Kinsella. I feel > you when I was dreaming a PASS. Anyway, I’m gonna > beat it this time for sure. U gots ta know dat be da case or I gonna go Gangsta ah blow a cap in dat b*tches ass. Fo Shizzel

Yeah, you said it. Feel same. Loads of work just to see the other 4 letter word at the end. Don’t make me say it. Felt really bad! Passed FSA,Econ>70 failed ethics and Port Mngmt. I too will pray for more straight forward questions, but at the same time will be ready for some curve balls. Walked out of exam that day and walked in disbelief from 17th street to upper east just nodding (NYC). Next year I will cab it with a smile. Good Luck to all…

Have you guys used the online CFA exams? Wich providers have you used? (stalla/schweser…) Let’s make the discution interessting for all of us, and let’s discover together what are the weaknesses/mistakes that you have/made?

I will destory LII, mark my words.

dvlpr75, This is a hate post. I think you should post your question as a separate post. Out herei just wanna hear about all the grief, pain hatered that people have seeing that FAIL. I want this post to drive me through my journey while i slay this peaky little mark. Come guys more hate posts. Make me alive again.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > plyon Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Lacking access to eiither illegal stimulants or > > JB’s prodigious supply of Adderal, that rush is > > all I have going for me. > > > > I thought you were into expensive cigars… Yes… And double yes to the Sierra Nevada. Nicotine stimulation barely rises to the “maintenance buzz” for me at this point, however, so I’m left with seething desire to destroy level II as my motivating factor.

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > plyon Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > > > > Lacking access to eiither illegal stimulants > or > > > JB’s prodigious supply of Adderal, that rush > is > > > all I have going for me. > > > > > > > I thought you were into expensive cigars… > > Yes… And double yes to the Sierra Nevada. > > Nicotine stimulation barely rises to the > “maintenance buzz” for me at this point, however, > so I’m left with seething desire to destroy level > II as my motivating factor. haha, reading this now im a bit concerned, i dont have the fire in my belly that i did for level 1. i hope it comes back around december when i intend on commencing my studys’

The fire in the belly will come, but if you wait until Dec, it will probably be too late to pass LOL

When I receive that email next year telling me I have passed, I will reply it with a forward email containing some long evil devilish laughter, yeh that is what I will do. Then I will definately have the last laugh, lets show this beast that it can’t trample on us. Whenever I remember that fail, I feel the rage flowing through my veins, arggghhh I need to revenge.

If it helps, here’s my thought. I failed LII in 05. Wasn’t ready, had just started a new job, had no business taking it. Came close, but failed. In 06, took it again, and put solid effort into it. In fact, I deserved to pass. I failed, but I remember thinking as I walked out…“I either passed or was so close that next year will be a lock”. Failed. So this year, I took the time, did the questions, focused on practice questions all of May, and passed. My lesson was that every year built on the previous. Accounting was my bugaboo, and as soon as I “passed” accounting (50-70), sure as shooting, I passed LII. You will pass too. Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up. (J. Valvano)

Keep working on it… You will slay this beast. But you have to keep this fire burning all through to june 08 and that’s the tough part. I failed L2 in 06. Had the same hate feeling i’m reading on this thread. I was emotionally down for 2 weeks at least but told myself to pick up and move on once more. And yes, i found the topics easier to comprehend. All current method and pension expense makes sense. To motivate myself further, i deliberately hung around cfa charterholder at work tod remind myself that i have an unfinished task ahead me and if they can pass, so can i. This year i passed and the joy is much sweeter. But there is still k level 3 ahead and i will beat this thing completely one day!

I am still in disbelief. I was one of the kids in school who never studied but messed up the curve for everyone. I feel your pain and hate. I think it is really the first time I have ever had a challeneg like this in the academic/ test taking world. Challenges are good. But I am still pissed. I made a lot of sacrifices to come up with a FAIL.

Geez guys it is just a test as they always say. You might not like having to spend another two or three hundred hours having to go through the exact same process and material a second time, but at the end of the day even though it seems that the only thing others in the office think of when they look at you is that you failed a CFA exam, in actual fact they really don’t give a toss. Chances are they’ll have forgotten that you’re even doing the CFA program by lunch time. It would be nice to be able to boast about how you passed every single exam on the first try, but it’s not the end of the world, it’s just a pain in the ass to do it again.

I feel your pain, I’m right there w/ you. I’m the most dysphoric I’ve been in years. I was contemplating tall cliffs to jump off yesterday. Now I’m just so damn angry I want to destroy level II next year. Also I can’t believe you failed w >70 in half and 50 - 70 in the other half, esp when you had >70 in FSA & equity; something doesn’t seem right…

What is up with bumping an 11 month old post?