Contacting Investor Relations

Hey chintz what kind of size companies are you looking at? In general I find IR to be pretty helpful but on many occasion it has taken a barrage of phone calls and emails before I managed to get through. Also with regard contacting the analysts who wrote the research reports, I found pretty early on that although most are willing to talk to you, their help will be limited and their tolerance pretty low unless you go through your sales person with whichever brokerage they work for.

mojo989, they are mostly mid-caps with a couple of larger ones sprinkled in. I accessed the analyst reports thru reuters, starmine etc. Most of the reports list the analysts’ email and phone #. So I assumed that they would expect people to call with questions etc.

Oh they are yes don’t me wrong it’s just when I first started I got a couple of angry responses when they realized I didn’t have a sales person and have since had it drummed into me to always go through the sales person first even though it often seems ludicrous when like you say you’ve got their name and number in front of you.

mojo989 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > to get through. Also with regard contacting the > analysts who wrote the research reports, I found > pretty early on that although most are willing to > talk to you, their help will be limited and their > tolerance pretty low unless you go through your > sales person with whichever brokerage they work > for. unless of course you work for fidelity, wellington etc… in which case the sell-side analyst will be happy to spend hours holding your hand through whatever questions you might have or fulfilling your pointless requests…

Can you elaborate on the ‘salesperson’ deal? Is this the sales rep at starmine thru which I access the analyst reports?

Exactly but if you work for a name they’ve never heard of they don’t want to waste their time which is totally understandable.

Yep. They should be able to get in touch with the analyst for you. BTW don’t take this as law or anything just my $0.02. I just find I get a lot better service that way.

mojo are you a buy-side analyst?

Yep. Hedge fund.

i generally think of sales coverage as the person at the broker who handles your firm’s account, assuming you trade with them. nothing wrong with caling the anlayst directly though. worst thing they can do is get mad, which has never happend to me but once again i’m not at a small shop. if you are slightly worried just call the associate, they are usually happy to talk to clients about their names.

Big Nodge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i generally think of sales coverage as the person > at the broker who handles your firm’s account, > assuming you trade with them. nothing wrong with > caling the anlayst directly though. worst thing > they can do is get mad, which has never happend to > me but once again i’m not at a small shop. if you > are slightly worried just call the associate, they > are usually happy to talk to clients about their > names. If you deal with an analyst on a normal basis, absolutely no need to go through the sales person. And if you’re at a large shop, probably not necessary at all. However, smaller shops either call the sales coverage, who contacts us…or they contact us directly. Most of them say, off the bat, who their sales coverage is.

one drawback with calling the associates though, the tend to not know their a$$ from their elbows :wink:

^ another reason why they didnt go to medical school

Big Nodge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > one drawback with calling the associates though, > the tend to not know their a$$ from their elbows > :wink: hey hey watch it there buddy… haha

Just got a reply from one of the IR reps offering to put me in touch with the director.

Big Nodge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > one drawback with calling the associates though, > the tend to not know their a$$ from their elbows > :wink: I don’t deny it! Just don’t let my senior know, as I like my job! :stuck_out_tongue:

ha, i’m a buyside associate style, just messing with FI. truth is i usually prefer calling the associates. most often i’m digging into the details on how they crunched some numbers or where they sourced some data, and the seniors tend not to know that stuff anyway.