Could Someone Critique My Resume Please?

Is this better. I know I need to quantify somethings and show that I have made a difference in the process. But do you guys like the improvements. Experience Registered investment advisory firm with over $2 billion AUM, New York Trading Assistant (2006-present) • Liaison between portfolio managers and the sell-side for fixed income and equity products • Perform market surveillance to identify relative value opportunities based on criteria determined by the research committee • Produce morning and afternoon reports to reflect market color and performances of equity positions • Update hedge fund model to reflect daily P/L • Perform commission analysis and optimize distribution among equity desks • booking and placing trades Portfolio Administrator (2005-2006) • Confirmed trade executions, reconciled positions, and ensured settlement in over 1,500 managed accounts • investigated trade breaks, sent trade allocations and delivery instructions • Processed corporate actions, dividends, interest payments and fixed income maturities • Served as the main client contact in providing day-to-day client service

Hit and miss there. I’m in middle office at a pretty good bank and I’ve been working on the CFA for two years now. Miss: It got me the recognition of our front office staff (CPA, 2 CFAs, and a level 2 candidate) to get the nod. Hit: My manager and most others know I won’t be staying there forever so there is some resentment about where my allegiances lye.

mni Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is this better. I know I need to quantify > somethings and show that I have made a difference > in the process. But do you guys like the > improvements. > > Experience > > Registered investment advisory firm with over $2 > billion AUM, New York > Trading Assistant (2006-present) > > • Liaison between portfolio managers and the > sell-side for fixed income and equity products > • Perform market surveillance to identify relative > value opportunities based on criteria determined > by the research committee > • Produce morning and afternoon reports to reflect > market color and performances of equity positions > > • Update hedge fund model to reflect daily P/L > • Perform commission analysis and optimize > distribution among equity desks > • booking and placing trades Good start, your bullets are much punchier. On the “mid-office” stuff, you should avoid using phrasing like “Perform market surveillance”, and change it to something more along the lines of “Worked with brokers to efficiently buy and sell securities to facilitate Research Committee and Portfolio Manager Recommendations.” (Just off the top of my head so that phrase needs work) See how that sentence sounds like you’re doing something actively as opposed to simply doing what your PM’s tell you to do? I’ve never worked in MO, but I’d imagine they’re looking for a type A’s who want to be effective, and sounding active will help your case significantly. Go through your bullets and see how you’d incorporate this into your other phrases. Also, you should make sure to list your CFA progress somewhere. Even if you’re a MO guy, you want to make it sound like you’re trying to get in the head of the FO people you support. Also, I think you’ll lose more jobs for not thinking about the next step than you will for being too ambitious. You’re not going to get every job you interview for, so you should just be yourself, and be honest about what you want. You don’t want to be in this situation again in a year when you realize you’re not a good fit for your role… Hope I’m helping…

I think you’re helping - good job.

Badly written & too long. By way of example… -Contact brokers to inquire about their inventories including municipal, corporate and agency fixed income products