CQF --> Has anyone passed on this forum?

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keys Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > actuaryalfred Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > CQF is a joke to real quants > > > > > > You’re a joke to real quants too :slight_smile: > > > Dude, when actuaryalfred says jump, you should ask > how high. So long as it relates to quants. > Respectfully. How about both of you jump off this thread until adding some value. Respectfully…

^+1

Since you’re not having much here, you might want to try on the Wilmott forums.

you mean he was actually trying to get useful information off of AF before? if so he will never make it in quant

I have posted on Wilmott before, but this time it doesn’t suit the purpose of this thread since the majority of posters have highly quantitative skills before taking MFEs/CQFs/whatever --> different context Since the CQF is marketed on analystforum and since the CFA has traditionally been more of a business student oriented program, I am looking for insight from these individuals.

i dont think $18K are justified for this certificate from a cost-benefit perspective. it seems like a relatively good program that is way overpriced

EDIT: deleted double posting

I’m going to look into CQF, though don’t plan to take it unless whatever firm I end up in the future pays for it. I just got a bunch of quantitative finance books, including Wilmott’s 3-volume set, and I’m absolutely dying to get into them. Will start right when I wake up the Sunday after the CFA Level 2 exam.

I’d be interested in the CQF if it weren’t so bloody expensive. However, it seems that it’s more for people who are doing derivatives pricing than anything else. I’m more into econometric modeling and quantitative portfolio management, and it doesn’t appear to devote much time to that.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’d be interested in the CQF if it weren’t so > bloody expensive. However, it seems that it’s > more for people who are doing derivatives pricing > than anything else. I’m more into econometric > modeling and quantitative portfolio management, > and it doesn’t appear to devote much time to that. They have 100+ hours of growing material on high frequency trading, GARCH and other econometric modelling, etc…

Can’t you just buy the books and read them?

^ and ^^ I find lectures useless and slow anyways and absorb information/material more efficiently if I just study on my own.

I have read all the required reading for the modules; there is much more in the actuals lectures and they give additional insight into the material. Additionally, all the other lextures on C++, behavioural finance, etc… from leading practitioners is extremely useful. Why take the CFA --> just read a bunch of books on finance, economics, etc…or borrow the material from anothers candidate/charterholder…

keys, are you Wilmott?

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have read all the required reading for the > modules; there is much more in the actuals > lectures and they give additional insight into the > material. Additionally, all the other lextures on > C++, behavioural finance, etc… from leading > practitioners is extremely useful. > > Why take the CFA --> just read a bunch of books on > finance, economics, etc…or borrow the material > from anothers candidate/charterholder… You can’t compare a no-name designation that no one has ever heard off to the CFA. My employer happily paid for the CFA, because they see return from writing on their web sites and brochures that I have it. In comparison the only people who have heard of the CFQ are the ones who have seen the banner on the AF web site. Unless the guy giving the lectures has anything more to add than what’s in the books (which is very rare - he has to have tons of useful experience and is willing to give it to you for 17K) then sitting through his lectures is uselsss. That unless you need someone to explain everything to you, then sure pay 17K to listen to him read the examples in the books. And then, they already told you you can’t make it as a quant without a Ph.D, I am not sure what are you still arguing.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keys Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I have read all the required reading for the > > modules; there is much more in the actuals > > lectures and they give additional insight into > the > > material. Additionally, all the other lextures > on > > C++, behavioural finance, etc… from leading > > practitioners is extremely useful. > > > > Why take the CFA --> just read a bunch of books > on > > finance, economics, etc…or borrow the > material > > from anothers candidate/charterholder… > > You can’t compare a no-name designation that no > one has ever heard off to the CFA. My employer > happily paid for the CFA, because they see return > from writing on their web sites and brochures that > I have it. In comparison the only people who have > heard of the CFQ are the ones who have seen the > banner on the AF web site. > > Unless the guy giving the lectures has anything > more to add than what’s in the books (which is > very rare - he has to have tons of useful > experience and is willing to give it to you for > 17K) then sitting through his lectures is uselsss. > That unless you need someone to explain everything > to you, then sure pay 17K to listen to him read > the examples in the books. > > And then, they already told you you can’t make it > as a quant without a Ph.D, I am not sure what are > you still arguing. Never heard of Taleb, Wilmott, Haug, Leo, Derman or any of a number of pioneer quants who developed this Field!! Living in a cave? Actually it is quite well known on the sell side, less on the buy side. Oh and wait, this program gives you skills you can implement; CFA…I won’t go there… Did you even read the initial post? The intent is to gain insight from people attending the program…not to debate the merit of the qualification.

actuaryalfred Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > keys, are you Wilmott? I wish I had his cash flow. I also find him quite witty!

you ARE Wilmott! now this thread makes sense, thanks for the ads

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mo34 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > Actually it is quite well known on the sell side, > less on the buy side. Oh and wait, this program > gives you skills you can implement; CFA…I won’t > go there… > > I guess I have nothing better to do today than to follow your thread :slight_smile: … What sell side ? What are you talking about ? They have quant on the sell side ? Man I must be living in a cave. Names don’t mean anything. You think someone will hire you because you dropped some dude’s name at an interview ? I already gave you the hierarchy of stuff to do and put in your resume. Now first get your Ph.D., then your CFA, then read post by FourCastle on how this will not help you get anywhere.